The mission of the Detroit Zoological Society is to:
- Demonstrate leadership in wildlife conservation and animal welfare.
- Provide a broad audience with outstanding and unique educational opportunities that lead to the appreciation and stewardship of nature.
- Inspire our community with engaging, meaningful and memorable experiences.
- Provide innovative zoological facilities that contribute to the region’s economic vitality.
- Demonstrate organizational excellence consistent with a commitment to outstanding service, progressive resource management and environmental leadership.