Events & Meetings Manager
Salary Range: Commensurate with experience
Location: Washington, D.C.
Reports To: Director of Events
Purpose and Description
Under the supervision of the Director of Events, the Events & Meetings Manager will directly support the conceptualization, development, and execution of both internal and external events for Meridian International Center.
- Serves as Meridian’s meeting specialist, acting as the primary resource and contact for all inquiries related to daytime meeting space for external organizations, such as conferences, board meetings, staff retreats, or luncheons
- Maintains professional and accessible lines of communication with assigned private event clients, acting as a knowledgeable resource in the areas of venue policies and procedures, vendor referrals, and event management
- Helps manage the revenue events program of the organization, with a strong focus on weddings and social events, hospitality, and customer service
- Assist with event and RSVP management to include sending invitations and tracking RSVP’s utilizing the Salesforce database
- As part of the Events Team, works with internal staff to plan receptions, programs, dinners, and art events, developing and executing all major aspects of the event, including timeline, vendor selection, RSVP tracking, development of event sheet, and event close-out
- Conducts site tours with potential clients, highlighting Meridian’s history, unique features, and capabilities; finalizes event details on select events by performing final walkthroughs with clients and vendors, and overseeing the event through completion
- Consistently applies Meridian’s event policies and procedures to effectively communicate these regulations and performance details to vendors, clients, and internal staff planning events
- Actively represents Meridian at assigned events and programs, including a heavy schedule of weekend and evening work during peak seasons
- Assists the Director of Events in managing vendor responsibilities and logistics of Meridian’s major fundraising event, The Meridian Ball
- Manages the social media presence of Meridian as it pertains specifically to weddings and private events; works with the Director of Events, Director of Communications, and Creative Director to develop new content and update existing content for the event rentals component of the institutional web site.
- Works closely with the Maintenance & Operations Team in executing meetings and event setups; reviews room setups to ensure that meeting space is arranged as requested in event requisition documents
- Manages the master house calendar, communicating information effectively for accurate setup by building operations team; following meetings and programs, reconciles all internal billing and invoices to meet departmental and grant reporting deadlines
- Coordinates all administrative functions for the Events Office, including maintenance of vendor files, check requests, insurance certifications, rental revenue documents, and invoices
Other duties and special projects as assigned
- Undergraduate degree in an events related field is preferred, but not required
- Three years of progressively responsible experience in the area of special events, meetings coordination, or project management, with non-profit, association, or government agency experience a plus
- Experience with weddings and social occasions is a plus
- Experience working with Salesforce or other CRM database is strongly preferred
- Any equivalent combination of training, education, and experience that demonstrates the ability to perform the essential functions of the position
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Exceptional acumen in interacting with all levels of staff, board members, major donors, clients, and vendors
- Demonstrated initiative and creativity, with success working on a small team in a busy office environment
- Strong attention to detail and procedure, with excellent oral and written communications skills
Physical Effort and Dexterity
- Must be able to walk grounds and buildings of historic non-accessible property
Visual Acuity, Hearing, and Speaking
- Excellent verbal and written command of the English language
Environment and Scheduling
- Interest in working with an international not-for-profit professional exchange organization
This position is classified FLSA non-exempt.
Employer’s Statement and Rights
This position posting does not list all the duties of the job. If an offer is made, you will be presented with a detailed job description. Applicants will be evaluated based upon their demonstrated ability to perform the tasks listed above, and their education and experience. The employer has the right to revise this posting at any time. Neither this posting nor the job description is a contract for employment. Meridian is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Qualified candidates should apply by e-mail only to HR@meridian.org. Subject line should read "Events Manager" only and a cover letter, with salary expectations, and resume should be attached. Only candidates being considered for this position will be contacted. Submissions which do not follow the above instructions will not be considered as applicants. NO PHONE CALLS in reference to this position will be accepted.