Loyalist Township invites applications for the following permanent full-time position:
File No: LT-43-2017 Community Development Coordinator– Recreation Services
Hours: 35 per week
Rate: $55,778 - $64,333
Reporting to the Recreation Manager, the Community Development Coordinator is responsible for the facilitation of partnerships encompassing community organizations, service clubs, cultural groups, recreational stakeholders, sports groups, volunteers, residents, developers, and businesses. The Community Development Coordinator is responsible for the delivery of Departmental special events and festivals as well as being the single point of contact for the Department to assist with all community driven initiatives. The Community Development Coordinator is also responsible for the Corporate Volunteer Management Program, encouraging community engagement, and various corporate events. This position also promotes community economic development that enhances economic opportunities for the Township.
- Successful completion of post-secondary education from a recognized college or university in Recreation and Leisure Studies, Event Management Planning or related field;
- Minimum three years related work experience in community economic development, economic development, event planning, special events and volunteer management;
- Experience in a municipal environment would be considered an asset;
- Experience with event management, and community development/engagement;
- Proficiency in computer software applications, the internet and social media;
- Demonstrated proficiency in MS Office and related software required;
- Demonstrated experience in media relations and marketing;
- Hold current memberships with related Professional Associations (PRO, FEO) and keep related training and certifications up to date;
- Valid class “G” driver license, satisfactory drivers record and ability to provide own transportation;
- Possess and maintain current CPR, First Aid, AED operator; and
- Ability to obtain and maintain a CPIC check required.
Specific Skills, Abilities and Knowledge:
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with courtesy, tact and decorum, both verbally and in writing including public speaking and engaging oral presentation skills;
- The ability to adapt and effectively handle multiple demands and conflicting priorities;
- Strong customer service mindset and effective and clear communication skills to handle daily interaction with staff, the public and public organizations;
- A demonstrated passion for developing and maintaining a network of community stakeholders;
- Highly self-motivated with an ability to work both independently, and in a team environment;
- Strong organizational, time management, leadership, analytical, decision-making and problem solving skills
- A demonstrated ability to establish effective working relationships both within and outside the organization;
- Superior ability to make accurate and timely decisions;
- Working knowledge of budgeting and financial management;
- Familiarity with community based strategic planning; and
- Strong familiarity with non-profit sector; service clubs and volunteer agencies.
Duties and Responsibilities
Community Development and Event Planning
- Create and foster collaborative relationships with all community stakeholders to identify and establish community development opportunities;
- Develop relationships with funding agencies and foundations;
- Ensure strong linkages and communication between the Department/Corporation and the community;
- Act as the Department’s single point of contact for all community initiatives in order to coordinate departmental requirements and resources to ensure event/project success;
- Implement and develop assigned Corporate events i.e. volunteer recognition, Leadercast;
- Foster community involvement, build relationships and promote Recreation programs and facilities with local organizations and the community;
- Develop and implement effective community engagement strategies;
- Develops and promotes community economic development opportunities;
- Assist existing and new community groups/associations with the development of terms of reference, visions and mission statements;
- Attend committee meetings and provide administrative support as required;
- Analyze demographic trends in order to develop and implement new and creative Special Events and festival;
- Serve as a liaison and resource person to promote the Township as a venue for potential new events;
- Assist with the development and implementation of marketing initiatives, promotional and print materials in partnership with the Marketing and Customer Relations Coordinator;
- Assist with the development of sponsorship packages and opportunities to local businesses;
- Assist community groups and the Department with grant opportunities;
- Ensure that staff, volunteers and contract service providers are performing their duties as outlined in the Township Staff Manual;
- Engage contract services for events and festivals, ensuring that all requirements, insurance coverage and certifications are met; and
- Recruit, train and supervise part-time staff to support community development and events staff.
- Assist in the development and monitoring of assigned operational and capital budgets;
- Assist with tracking and forecasting of budgets, completing status reports, making adjustments to ensure that targets are met;
- Exercise signing authority as designated by the Township to purchase supplies/equipment from both operational and capital budgets;
- Provide social media updates to the Marketing and Customer Relations Coordinator;
- Working knowledge of departmental and Township policies and procedures; and
- Exemplary public relations and customer service.
The job description reflects the primary duties and responsibilities of this position and should not be construed to describe in detail all duties and responsibilities of the job.
Daily communication with all Recreation Services Department and other municipal departments and program staff.
Frequent liaison with Township residents, agencies and community volunteer and service clubs and groups.
Working Conditions/Physical/Cognitive Demands
Normal office environment working conditions apply as well as working outdoors. Will be required to attend programs / events / location which may take place outdoors and / or in different facilities. May be seated for long periods (3-4 hours). Work hours vary, must be able to work a flexed schedule to equal a 35-hour week to accommodate evenings and weekend programming requirements. Occasional lifting, carrying and moving of items may occur. The use of a personal vehicle to transport equipment or supplies is required.
Closing: August 28th, 2017, 4:00 p.m.