EVENT MANAGER - TORONTO TASTE
November 10th, 2017
Type: Contract Full-Time, January 2 – September 30, 2018
Location: Toronto, ON
Job Title: Event Manager Toronto Taste
Reporting to the Director of Development, this role produces Second Harvest’s annual fundraising event, Toronto Taste (TT). June 3, 2018 marks the 28th anniversary of this marquee production, with a goal of $1 million which will be achieved through sponsorships, ticket sales, auxiliary revenue generators (live, silent, fine wine and online auctions; raffle; on-site pay-to-play) and donations. To achieve these objectives, the TT Manager acts as the principal leader of and the primary executor on an eight-person cross-functional project team, overseeing, implementing and supporting all aspects of the event.
About Second Harvest:
This is an opportunity to play a key role in the continued success and growth of the largest food rescue program in Canada.
Second Harvest is the largest food rescue organization in Canada and a global thought leader on food recovery. With a goal to drastically reduce the amount of food wasted while ensuring people have access to the good, healthy food they need for success, Second Harvest works across the supply chain from farmer to retail to capture surplus food before it ends up in the landfill and negatively impacts our environment.
Since 1985 we have rescued and delivered more than 127 million pounds of food and prevented over 70 million pounds of greenhouse gas equivalents from entering our atmosphere. Currently, Second Harvest rescues food from over 470 donors and delivers that food to over 253 social service agencies in Toronto and food hubs across Ontario, providing enough food for 30,000 meals a day.
No Waste. No Hunger.
- Implement the direction for Toronto Taste in alignment with organizational strategic priorities (the 2018 event plan, critical path and budget are already established and approved)
- Manage and monitor the Toronto Taste revenue and expense budgets in alignment with the objectives of the overall revenue generation plan and organizational budget
- Lead a cross-functional project team, soliciting support and influence from Director of Development and Executive Director as needed
- Collaborate with Senior Manager, Corporate and Community Partnerships to identify and implement strategies for growth with partner/sponsor relationships, and identify new activation opportunities
- Achieve established revenue and expense targets with support from the cross-functional project team
- Manage all aspects of the donor cycle for in-kind production sponsors, seeking opportunities to cultivate and solicit new sponsors to offset costs, with the support of the Senior Manager, Corporate & Community Partnerships and the Sponsorship & Events Manager
- Manage and liaise with all chef and beverage event participants, collecting and managing high volumes of information to inform site planning, public health compliance, and guest experience – all while providing focused attention to this important group of in-kind supporters
- Manage and liaise with vendors, city authorities and venue contacts to secure permits and coordinate logistics
- Collaborate with Communications team to develop and support the execution of a comprehensive marketing and promotional campaign
- Oversee the implementation of all elements of pre-event and on-site revenue generating activities including ticket sales, raffle, and auctions, including securing prize/auction items
- Develop site and signage plans in collaboration with key team members
- Plan and implement stage programming (Emcee, Chef Challenge, live entertainment) & Live Auction in collaboration with Communications department
- Work with the Volunteer Programs team to ensure the recruitment, scheduling and management of event weekend volunteers (400+)
- Identify, create and manage prospects and opportunities in collaboration with other team members to leverage in-kind support with a goal to offset costs
- Report on Toronto Taste progress and results to key internal and external stakeholders
- Perform other duties and assist with special projects as required
Candidate requirements for success:
- Bachelor’s Degree, preferably in marketing, communications, or business administration, or equivalent combination of education, experience and positive track record
- An event management certificate is an asset
- 5+ years of progressive experience as senior coordinator and/or manager of large, complex event formats, with full ownership responsibilities for planning, budget and execution, using influencing and negotiation skills to manage up, across and down to achieve objectives
- Has a proven track record of event logistics expertise and experience, including vendor management and operational execution (tenting, electrical, AV/staging/show production)
- Proficient with the tools required to organize and monitor large volumes of information and workflow (Excel, CRM database, project management software an asset)
- Has a strong command of and passion for event marketing and sales with regard to securing in-kind sponsorships, prizing and driving ticket sales
- Skilled with budget development, management and financial reconciliation
Key competencies required:
- Thrives on and embodies grace under pressure in a fast-paced environment
- Uses a proactive approach and superior organizational skills and strong attention to detail to stay on top of multiple competing priorities and meet or exceed very high expectations
- Enthusiastic, motivating, accountable team leader with an ability to work independently or collaboratively to accomplish shared goals
- Demonstrated project management skills, including the ability to keep others on track
- Exemplary partner/donor service and relationship management skills
- Solid interpersonal and diplomacy skills
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, presentation skills, negotiation skills
- Strong problem-solving and decision-making skills
- Strong information and data management skills
Please submit your resume and cover letter on or before November 24, 2017, via email, with “Event Manager – Toronto Taste” in the subject line, to: email@example.com. We would appreciate no phone calls or agencies.
We would like to thank all applicants for applying for this position, however you will only be contacted if your candidacy is being considered. Second Harvest is committed to an inclusive and accessible recruitment and selection process. If you are invited to attend an interview and require an accommodation, please advise us in advance of our meeting.
For more information about Second Harvest, visit: www.secondharvest.ca