The International Crisis Group seeks an Event Coordinator to work as a part of its private sector development team to help plan and execute its full schedule of donor events and trips, as well as our In Pursuit of Peace Award Dinner, scheduled for autumn 2018. These events help Crisis Group’s work in the field come alive for current donors and keeps their connection to our work strong. For people new to Crisis Group, the events help the private sector team to turn friends into donors.
Based in New York and reporting to the Director of Private Sector Initiatives, the Event Coordinator will be responsible for managing the private sector development team’s exciting global events program, which includes small format breakfast briefings, dinners, and receptions predominantly in New York, London, San Francisco, Brussels, Vancouver and Los Angeles, as well as occasional events in other international cities. While most of these functions can be performed from New York, occasional international travel is an opportunity available to the Event Coordinator, though not a requirement of the position. The key responsibilities of the role are listed below:
- Manage invitation process – including invitation design, RSVP collection, invitee tracking, and reminder email;
- Prepare event collateral – which can include menu, program, run of show, seating plan, table cards, talking points, biographies of guests, etc. with assistance of private sector interns;
- Coordinate logistics and manage vendor relationships;
- Collaborate with development officers to ensure flawless execution of donor events on the day;
- Order thank you gifts for hosts;
- Maintain records of event content and expenses;
- Maintain up-to-date internal and external donor event calendars;
- Facilitate monthly events meetings for the private sector development team to develop strategy and an execution plan, and discuss lessons learned from past events.
Biannual Council Trips, typically one week in length and taking place every other year, are an opportunity for the International Crisis Group to give supporters on its Council a strong connection to our mission and to individual analysts by bringing them on a study tour of one of the 60 countries where we work. Recent trips have gone to Lebanon, Ukraine & Russia and Tunisia. The Event Coordinator, working with the Director, will be responsible for managing the trip planning and execution, including:
- Design and propose new trips to senior management, including location, rationale and program activities;
- Oversee invitation process to all Council members – including extension, follow-up, tracking and collection of registration forms and payments;
- Communicate ongoing development of trip plans to participants as the date approaches;
- Work with local staff to schedule meetings with interlocutors;
- Arrange accommodations, ground transportation, restaurant reservations for the group;
- Trouble-shoot on the ground during the trip to ensure flawless execution of program and maximized participation experience;
- Collaborate with Communications team to develop and execute social media and photography strategy;
- Post-trip fundraising efforts.
Crisis Group’s next In Pursuit of Peace Award Dinner will take place in October or November 2018. The Event Coordinator will be responsible for the following:
- Help finalize vendors and venue, and act as point person to coordinate all details pertaining to event;
- Liaise with honorees and high-level participants to ensure they are prepared to take part in the event, including supporting any necessary travel arrangements and special requests;
- Help create seating lists and coordinate table placement for our highest-level donors;
- Oversee recruitment and management of all event volunteers;
- Event follow up/thank you letters.
- Work with graphic designer to make sure design adheres to Crisis Group’s vision and the schedule is on target;
- Liaison between designer and printer ensuring timely delivery of materials;
- Oversee Save the Date and invitation mailing;
- Coordinate dinner journal design and production, including timely follow-up on journal ads with event sponsors;
- Work with Communications department to coordinate website updates & press releases.
- Maintain accurate accounting of event expenses and income;
- Work with Development Coordinator to ensure invoices and reimbursements are processed for payment, and properly coded with Finance.
- Support the work of the Dinner Committee by preparing agendas, materials, meeting minutes and tracking outreach;
- Help Development Officers prepare sponsorship proposals as needed and coordinate meetings with potential sponsors;
- Play a role in coordinating the team’s research and tracking of prospective sponsors, honorees, chairs, co-chairs, honorary chairs, award presenters and other event participants;
- Play an oversight role to ensure the team updates and maintains all relevant prospect and donor information in Raiser's Edge;
- Work closely with Communications team to ensure a high profile and awareness for event, particularly with respect to building Crisis Group’s profile in New York and the private sector.
- Bachelor’s degree with 2-3 years professional experience;
- Experience with fundraising/special events is strongly preferred, as is knowledge of international relations or related fields;
- Self-motivated and able to function independently;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including ability to communicate directly and effectively with others;
- Superior attention to detail, highly organised, strong problem solving skills, and ability to work well under pressure and to handle multiple, competing demands;
- Excellent computer skills required, including, Word, Excel, and email. Knowledge of Raiser’s Edge and social media platforms a plus; and
- Self-motivated and able to function independently.
Candidates who would like to be considered for the role should apply via jobs.crisisgroup.org
before 28 January, 2018.