Events Coordinator - (00178.20)
Application Restrictions Open to both Internal and external
Job Type Support Staff (CUPE)
Posting In effect from 10/1/2018
Closing Application Date 23/1/2018 (Please note that Positions will close at 4:00pm on the closing date)
Full/Part Time Part Time
Support Type Auxiliary (Over 4 Months)
Anticipated Start Date 1/2/2018
Position End Date (If Applicable) 31/1/2019 The Hours of work are subject to change depending upon departmental requirements
Schedule Description This is a .6 FTE, 3 day per week position for a one year term. The 3 days of the week are flexible. In addition there may be some evening and weekend work on occasion. DUTIES
The Events Coordinator oversees all TRU Institutional and Advancement events. Using knowledge of the University’s mission, history, programs, goals, philosophy and funding needs, the role coordinates a strategic, targeted approach to Institutional and Advancement events that are used to establish and maintain support and to ensure that institutional, donor cultivation and stewardship objectives are achieved.
MAJOR DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Coordinate Fall and Spring convocation ceremonies, working with the Office of the President and Office of the Provost; includes organizing platform parties, gowning rooms, audio visual for live streaming, supervising campus volunteers and coordinating the convocation program and writing the book of words used to run the ceremony.
- Plan, organize and execute over 50 major events per year both on and off campus including fundraising events, government funding and research announcements, town halls, donor major gift announcements, awards ceremony and department events.
- Required to attend over 50 major events per year.
- Identifies, trains, coordinates and monitors volunteers for all events, programs and committees; participates in development of annual plans in conjunction with volunteer committees and contractors.
- Coordinates the involvement of internal service providers including, but not limited to, Marketing and Communications, Media Services, Facilities, campus food services and conference services to deliver requirements for events.
- Manage all vendor and service provider relationships, invoicing and correspondence.
- Coordination and supervision of contracted event and management service companies to ensure all external events profile the University in a professional and positive manner to the public and in the media.
- Monitor and assist all Faculties, Schools and Departments on campus in organizing events to ensure events are executed with high quality, consistency and to ensure protocols are met
- Establish and manage guest lists, workflow and budget for all events.
- Provides on-site inspections on and off the TRU campus, monitors services for events, including room set-up, menu, equipment needs and overall venue appearance; liaises with Ancillary Services, outside contractors, BC Government and Federal Government agencies including MP, MLA, Premier and Prime Ministers offices.
- Coordinates the establishment and maintenance of standards, formats, policies and processes for developing invitation and guest lists, issuing invitations, accepting and recording replies/registrations, creating event itinerary and content, preparation of remarks, pre-event briefings and debriefings.
- Attends meetings of the Alumni and Friends Association, Sports Task Force Board, Foundation Board of Directors, and other Alumni, Sports Task Force, Foundation volunteer committees as appropriate.
- Coordinates with internal and external partners the designing of marketing programs, advertising and promotional materials for approval by the Vice President, Advancement and prepares marketing materials and invitations to various events.
- In collaboration with the Director, Media Relations and Communications, identifies and implements effective communication and media relation strategies and tactics with respect to ceremonies and events.
- Works with the Office of the President, Government Office’s and internal departments (event specific) to compile invitation lists for each event based upon the identified objectives of the event.
- Maintains resource materials including the Advancement database, mailing lists and events information including attendees at each event for the purpose of tracking and identification of supporters.
- Collects and analyzes information for writing and compiling formal documents and presentations for the executive level of the university.
- Compiles surveys and statistical data, and prepares reports.
- Prepares agendas and minutes for the various committees.
- Coordinates Social Media strategy for all events
Vice President, Advancement and Director, Advancement
- Bachelors Degree in relevant area.
- Five years’ related experience in event management, supervising volunteers, working with board members, Government officials, community organizations and donors; including:
- One (1) year of event management experience in a post-secondary institution
- One (1) year experience in editing, writing communication, promotional materials annual reports, timelines, minutes and agendas
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE OR ABILITIES RELATED TO THE JOB
- Ability to deal courteously and tactfully with staff, students VIP’s, Government officials and members of the general public
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing
- Excellent time management and organizational skills with the ability to be results oriented and to juggle conflicting priorities while working within tight timeframes and demanding workloads
- Demonstrated planning, writing and presentation skills suitable for the senior level of the university
- Electronic publishing, print production (web and off-set), Advanced Microsoft Suite knowledge, survey software and reporting
- Updating information for the web and using many social media tools
- Demonstrated ability to plan, organize and prioritize work while managing multiple, diverse and competing priorities to meet deadlines
- Advanced knowledge of the hospitality industry
- Ability to maintain a high degree of attention to detail
- Knowledge of the University’s mission, history, programs, goals, philosophy and funding needs
- High level of tact, discretion and ability to handle and maintain confidential information with the ability to respond appropriately and use judgement when to refer to the Director and VP of Advancement
- Sitting at a desk for long periods of time
- General office conditions
- Travel required within Canada
- Ability to lift and load up to 25 kgs
- Ability to stand for long intervals
- Work outside in all types of weather
- Adaptable schedule during event periods
Please Note: If you are selected for interview, External Candidates will be required to bring a copy of their transcripts to the interview The salary for the above position is determined by the Collective Agreement with the Canadian Union of Public Employees, Local 4879, as it presently exists.
Pay Band CUPE Grade 11 $32.48
Salary rate Please Note: This position may be subject to a 90% salary for the first 560 hours of employment.
Location Kamloops, BC CA (Primary)
# of Hires Needed 1
Organizational Unit Thompson Rivers University -> Advancement
Diversity and Inclusion Commitment:
Thompson Rivers University is strongly committed to fostering diversity within our community. We welcome those who would contribute to the further diversification of our staff, our faculty and its scholarship including, but not limited to, women, visible minorities, Aboriginal people, persons with disabilities and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity. Please note that all qualified candidates are encouraged to apply, however applications from Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority. NOTE: To learn more about living in Kamloops and Thompson Rivers University please visit our Web Site. Living in Kamloops and working at the TRU