Position: Conference Events Manager
Employment Type: Full Time
Reporting to the Director of Conference & Special Events, the primary focus of this position is to coordinate and execute all aspects of conferences, day use meetings, tour groups and small meetings as assigned. The incumbent will be responsible for maximizing revenues, acting as a liaison between client and operating departments to ensure a successful meeting and re-book business. In addition this position will act as the key Delphi operator for system maintenance specific to Conference & Events.
Duties & Responsibilities
- On-site contact/point person for Deerhurst Resort conferences & events
- Creates a smooth and timely transition from sales process to conference servicing for assigned groups.
- Responsible for maximizing revenues, acting as a liaison between the client and operating departments, to ensure a successful event
- Achieve set targets above the initial contract revenue via up-selling during the planning stage of each event
- Solicit and confirm event related information with client.
- Maximize sales and revenue for the hotel by ensuring a sales attitude is adopted at all times, being aware of all sales opportunities within all areas of the resort, and proactively promoting resort service
- Organize / disseminate information to all departments through Banquet Event Orders (BEOs), directives, resumes and rooming list in a professional and timely manner.
- Work with Chef(s) to build creative menus, mindful of food costs, labor cost, and kitchen capabilities.
- Actively participate in the development of internal events, programs and packages
- Maintain pricing integrity and suggestive sell to all groups
- Build strong working relationships with our clients and develop an understanding of their specific needs and requirements
- Create floor plans for the best use of space for each event and to ensure banquet and client are in agreement prior to set up
- Obtain guarantees of food and beverage events for Banquets and Kitchen. Communicate in a timely manner when any significant deviation in numbers is known, allowing labor and food cost to be controlled.
- Responsible for sufficiently "washing" room block and food and beverage covers in order to ensure accurate forecasting.
- Solicit outstanding rooming lists and allocations adhering to the timings agreed at the contract stage
- Compile and produce the departments BEOs on timely manner adhering with the distribution deadline
- Approach tasks orderly, with tenacity and determination, completing work to the required standard within the deadlines agreed to with the client
- Initiate billing procedures ensuring client credibility and that deposits and/or credit applications are received with adequate information and within an acceptable time frame.
- Conduct pre-conference meetings to ensure key departments are fully aware of relevant details pertaining to groups upon their arrival.
- Attend daily/weekly/monthly departmental communication meetings, in addition to sales and weekly meetings and daily operations as needed
- Conduct and/or attend daily BEO meeting to review event contracts to ensure last minute changes are communicated with Banquets, Kitchen and Stewarding.
- Provides exceptional and professional service to our guests and associates
- Ensures the well-being of our guests and associates by being alert to, having a working knowledge of crisis and emergency procedures, and reporting potential hazards
- Fully knowledgeable of (and in adherence to) liquor and fire safety laws and regulations.
- Maintains the high quality of Catering/Convention standards set by Deerhurst Resort and Skyline.
- Carry out exit interviews and post event follow up calls, including the Operations team and Sales team as necessary
- Be flexible, responding quickly and positively to changing requirements
Skills, Abilities & Attributes
- Guest oriented with a sincere, helpful, caring and friendly personality
- Decision maker who can take initiative to execute events within operating guidelines
- Able to work well with multiple departments and manage the clients requests through others
- Precise attention to detail, order and execution
- Organize and prioritizes work in order to ensure guaranteed response limes and deadlines are met
- Exceptional energy, flexibility with work schedule and professionalism
- Enjoys offering exceptional service and meeting the needs of others
- Has effective communication skills (verbal, listening, writing)
- Able to adapt in a fast pace, constant changing environment within a dynamic work schedule
- Working knowledge of OPERA/DELPHI/ACTIVE or related reservations software system
- Comfortable and enjoys managing diverse tasks at the same time
- Proven ability to organize events effectively with accurate sense of detail
- Must be able to evaluate and select among alternative courses of action quickly and accurately
- Works well in stressful, high volume work setting to meet the deadline demands
- Must be able to work with and understand financial information and data
- Must maintain composure and objectivity under pressure
- Demonstrates ability in identifying difficulties and making recommendations for problem solving efficiency
- Must be effective at listening to, understanding, clarifying and resolving the concerns and issues raised by conveners, meeting planners and guests
- Participate in departmental meetings, team briefing and project work and support other team members and provide assistance when necessary to ensure the team collectively achieve their goals
- Motivated, committed and enthusiastic, seizing opportunities to learn new skills or knowledge in order to improve personal performance
Education & Experience
- Diploma from a recognized hospitality and/or management related course
- 4 years progressive experience in related Catering/Conference, Banquet environment required.
- CMP certification an asset
- Food and beverage background mandatory.
As a resort property opened 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, our leaders should not expect a set work schedule. Leaders should anticipate working a rotating schedule, shift work, weekends and travel. As a leader you will not be entitled to any additional pay for such additional time.