Community Experience Lead
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posted: February 13, 2018
Vacancy Type: Term Vacancy Notice
End: 1 year from date of hire
Grade: OPSEU - 11 ($61,849.98 - $73,852.09)
Hours of Work: 36.25 hours per week
Reporting to: Director, Operations and Strategic Projects
Return to Home: Guaranteed return to home
How to apply
Apply online before: Wednesday February 28, 2018 (4:30pm)
The DMZ at Ryerson University is one of Canada’s largest business incubators and co-working spaces for entrepreneurs. The top-ranked university incubator in Canada and third in the world, it helps startups succeed by connecting them with customers, advisors, influencers and other entrepreneurs.
The DMZ is based at Ryerson but it’s not just for students; this unique community is home to entrepreneurs and innovators of all ages from across Toronto, Canada and the world. Overlooking the heart of downtown Toronto at Yonge-Dundas Square, the DMZ is a hub of innovation, collaboration and experiential learning.
We are currently seeking a Community Experience Lead to plan and coordinate tours, events and special projects as assigned to enhance the reputation of the DMZ and Ryerson. You will develop, execute and administer tour work, from the planning to execution phase, and oversees day-to-day tour-related activities. You will also act as a planning resource to DMZ members for their tours and initiatives, with a focus on helping create business development opportunities and supporting the customer acquisition opportunity as well as the investor network for the DMZ.
- Successful completion of a post-secondary degree in Communications, Business Management, Hospitality and Tourism or a relevant field that includes familiarity with emerging technologies, digital media and start-up ecosystem AND a minimum of 3 years relevant work experience in community relations/development that includes event management from initiation to implementation and experience in discussing technology from the curious new-comers to the most technically savvy are required.
- Demonstrated experience in the planning and implementation of strategic plans for community engagement strategy, including event participation, identifying opportunities for relationship building for the DMZ and start-up teams and opportunities to engage an online community.
- Demonstrated experience in onboarding and programming from ensuring needs, interests and capabilities of teams are communicated for internal events and programming, logistic coordination, acting as the first point of contact, responding to questions, linking people to the appropriate supports and resources.
- Definite interest and participation in engaging with the digital community, online and offline through meet-ups and conferences and participation in committee work
- Experience in recommending and implementing best practices and leads the trial of digital innovations that support and promote community programs, encourage collaboration and sharing, as well as evaluates and measures success.
- Excellent organizational skills for coordinating event participation of teams, logistic coordination, set up and tear down arrangements.
- Good working knowledge of the types of connections start-up companies need and can demonstrate a comfort level discussing technology with anyone, from the curious new comers to the most technically savvy.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills for reporting on events, documenting relevant details and sharing successes
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to build and maintain business relationships.
- Demonstrated commitment to client service, specifically students, faculty and staff.
- An ability to work independently and as an effective team member and flexibility are required to effectively prioritize and ensure completion of assigned work.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and Google Gmail
- Candidates will be asked to demonstrate qualifications through occupational testing as a first step in the evaluation process prior to being interviewed.
- Candidates must have a demonstrated record of dependability/reliability and a commitment to maintain confidentiality.
- Applications can be accepted only online through our careers web site. Applications cannot be accepted through email. *LI-JC1
Ryerson University is strongly committed to fostering diversity within our community. We welcome those who would contribute to the further diversification of our staff, our faculty and its scholarship including, but not limited to, women, visible minorities, Aboriginal people, persons with disabilities, and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity. Please note that all qualified candidates are encouraged to apply but applications from Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.