BAR MANAGER (THE GLOBE AND MAIL CENTRE)
POSITION CODE: 2018-145
LOCATION: The Globe and Mail, Toronto
SALARY: Commensurate with qualifications and experience
Located in the King East Design District just minutes from the downtown core, The Globe and Mail Centre offers elegant spaces with panoramic city and lake views from the top floors of the headquarters of Canada's leading news organization. The Globe and Mail Centre’s flexible indoor and outdoor spaces can accommodate up to 400 guests for conferences, award shows, receptions, private celebrations and more. Equipped with the latest digital AV technology and refined executive-level furnishings, The Globe and Mail Centre is purpose-built, LEED Gold certified and supports a wide range of event possibilities.
This new business unit has been specifically designed to support and promote The Globe’s award winning journalism and importantly attract new and existing external clients who have an affiliation with The Globe brand.
If you are the best in your field, with a passion for excellence and an unwavering commitment to innovate in a fast-paced evolving environment, we’d like to hear from you.
Reporting to the Operations Manager, Conference Centre, the Bar Manager is responsible for the day-to-day operations of The Globe and Mail Centre's beverage services, supporting a wide range of corporate and private events. The Bar Manager works with a team of staff, including casual and agency-supplied workers to ensure the highest level of service and product preparation standards. Duties include the preparation of all beverage service orders, administration and management of inventory, and evolving business practices to improve services and profitability.
The Bar Manager will ensure high safety, hygiene and health standards are upheld by all beverage staff, and that bar services adhere to A.G.C.O and Toronto Health standards. The Bar Manager will also ensure the bar is operated with utmost in business ethics.
This is a full time role, working on a Tuesday to Saturday schedule with flexible hours including early mornings and evenings. This role will also require the incumbent to travel independently to pick up inventory, often on short notice.
- Overall responsibility for safe and responsible beverage services, achieving sales, service and profit targets through the implementation of strategies and procedures for a growing event venue business
- Ensuring all events are meeting A.G.C.O., Health and Safety, and Smart Serve standards, complying with & implementing all legislative and licensing requirements.
- Updating and evolving beverage menus and service methodologies, advising managers and clients on product selections to improve offerings, efficiencies and profitability.
- Responsible for inventory including ordering, coordinating deliveries, maintaining stock levels, product rotation, quality control, returns and expense management, reporting, as well as glassware/barware rentals and inventories.
- Managing stock and equipment distribution and return for individual events, along with consumption sheet and POS system setup and reconciliation. Complete product and billing documentation and facilitating return of products to inventories and/or suppliers post-event.
- Securing off-list products for custom orders, and managing timely returns of excess inventory. Managing donated/corkage product deliveries, preparation and supplier return for fundraising events.
- Conducting recruitment and training initiatives as well as performance management and/or employee coaching for beverage supervisors, bartenders, beverage attendants, security guards and other beverage staff, coaching and ensuring all team members are meeting service and performance standards and protocols.
- Advising Event Managers on floor plans, product selection and beverage staffing to ensure excellent service setup and staffing levels are appropriate and efficient. Reviews BEOs to ensure accuracy for bar preparation.
- Available for client site tours, educating and guiding staff, clients and vendors on menu selections, and custom consultations for specialty menus and services
- Ensuring cash and billing procedures are adhered to and strictly monitored.
- Building and maintaining professional relationships with staff, senior management, vendors, agents and suppliers. Demonstrating high personal integrity, ensuring that all financial gain or any benefits are done so in the name of the company only.
- Ensuring Standard Operating Procedures and systems are achieved and maintained at all times, and are monitored and updated when and where necessary. Ensure worker conduct, uniform and personal hygiene requirements are adhered to.
- Ensuring bar and beverage equipment and facilities are properly cleaned, maintained, updating logs and records, and liaise with vendors as required.
- Administration of beverage services including ensuring event details and billings are accurate. Maintaining program systems, calendars and databases.
- Working closely with event services team members as well as other departments to strengthen partnerships and operating procedures, including vendor coordination, staffing, client stewardship and business reporting, and troubleshooting client issues.
- Providing post-event analysis, and responding to client feedback.
- Contributing to, coordinating and distributing materials including: web and social media, event materials and on-site displays. Responding to client and internal requests for information and materials.
- Represent The Globe and Mail at meetings and events as requested
- Other duties as assigned
- Minimum of 2+ years in event/catering coordination, with experience in event bar services for a venue
- Minumum of 2+ years hands on bartending experience in a head/ supervisor capacity
- Post-secondary diploma/degree in Business or Hospitality
- Previous hands-on experience managing beverage services at a range of event venues and/or banquet facilities for corporate and private functions
- Entrepreneurial drive to grow a new business and increase bar profitability
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment with ambitious goals and multiple priorities
- Extensive product knowledge, including hands-on bartending and barista expertise, WSET Intermediate Wine and/or Spirit Certificate or comparable an asset
- Inventory management, billing/invoicing systems and POS system experience
- Experience facilitating training and coaching programs
- Demonstrated business improvements in past roles, with strong analytical skills
- Ability to connect with clients, colleagues and stakeholders to establish positive and productive ongoing relationships
- SmartServe and Food Handling certifications and familiarity with food/beverage industry best practices
- Superior verbal and written communication skills, administrative and organizational skills with the ability to manage a large and variable workload, and the ability to ensure the accurate completion of high volumes of detailed work
- Proficiency in all Microsoft Office applications including Intermediate Excel skills as well as Outlook and Word.
- Ability to lift up to 50lbs is preferred
- Willing to work flexible hours
Interested applicants should forward a soft copy of a current resume in confidence to The Globe and Mail’s Career Page at: https://www.theglobeandmail.com/about/work-at-the-globe/
Please quote the posting code 2018-145 at the top of your resume or in your cover letter.
Please submit your applications by Wednesday, September 19, 2018.
THE GLOBE AND MAIL INC. IS DEDICATED TO EQUITY IN THE WORKPLACE
At The Globe and Mail, we are committed to fostering an inclusive, accessible work environment, where all employees feel valued, respected and supported. The Globe and Mail offers accommodation for applicants with disabilities as part of its recruitment process. If you are contacted to arrange for an interview, please advise us if you require an accommodation.