EVENTS MANAGER (THE GLOBE AND MAIL CENTRE)
POSITION CODE: 2018-144
LOCATION: The Globe and Mail, Toronto
SALARY: Commensurate with qualifications and experience
Located in the King East Design District just minutes from the downtown core, The Globe and Mail Centre offers elegant spaces with panoramic city and lake views from the top floors of the headquarters of Canada's leading news organization. The Globe and Mail Centre’s flexible indoor and outdoor spaces can accommodate up to 400 guests for conferences, award shows, receptions, private celebrations and more.
Equipped with the latest digital AV technology and refined executive-level furnishings, The Globe and Mail Centre is purpose-built, LEED Gold certified and supports a wide range of event possibilities. This new business unit has been specifically designed to support and promote The Globe’s award winning journalism and importantly attract new and existing external clients who have an affiliation with The Globe brand.
If you are the best in your field, with a passion for excellence and an unwavering commitment to innovate in a fast-paced evolving environment, we’d like to hear from you.
Reporting to the Managing Director, Conference Centre, the Events Manager is responsible for the fulfillment of client events at the Globe and Mail Centre, meeting service and profit objectives, including the management of event plans, schedules, staffing, in-house beverage services, technical, rental/décor, catering and other vendor requirements, ensuring superb client relationship management and providing an exceptional experience for all facility guests.
The Events Manager will work flexible schedule including evenings and weekends. This is a regular full time position.
- Achieving event sales, service and profit targets for customer segments through the implementation of sales and service strategies and procedures, including developing and stewarding client accounts; responding to inquiries; educating and guiding potential clients on available services, offering tours, confirming and administrating venue bookings.
- Delivering a wide range of highly successful private and corporate events, based on client requirements to detail, schedule, confirming and administrating event components, and ensuring compliance with insurance, legal, health and safety obligations.
- Assignment of event equipment, supplies and vendor services ensuring proper setup and allocation of staff and resources for the successful delivery of each event, along with coordinating administrative requirements.
- Directing and supervising support staff and vendor services to ensure conformance with department objectives and goals. Supervise, direct, and coordinate the activities of personnel, subcontractors and vendors as required.
- Administration of event bookings including event orders, contracts, invoices, schedules and ensuring billings are accurate. Maintaining program systems, calendars and databases.
- Coordinating event deliveries, security, communications, promotions, recognition and way-finding.
- Working closely with event services team members as well as other departments to strengthen partnerships and operating procedures, including vendor coordination, staffing, client stewardship and business reporting, and troubleshooting client issues.
- Providing post-event analysis, and responding to client feedback.
- Implementing marketing strategies including targeted trade/networking events, social media, online and other promotions for customer segments.
- Contributing to, coordinating and distributing materials including: web and social media, event materials and on-site displays.
- Responding to client and internal requests for information and materials.
- Represent The Globe and Mail at meetings and events as requested.
- Other duties as assigned
- Excellent event planning skills and experience with corporate events and private celebrations.
- Excellent administrative and computer skills including Microsoft Office Suite; experience with CRM and calendar systems, floor plans/event design, invoicing as well as social media platforms.
- Excellent organization and communication skills for detailed scheduling and planning, and providing direction to staff and vendors under tight deadlines.
- Excellent time management, attention to detail and passion for organization and administration.
- Ability to embrace and communicate an event vision and bring it to life as well as trouble-shoot and solve problems under pressure.
- Ability to connect with clients, colleagues and stakeholders to establish positive and productive ongoing relationships.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment with ambitious goals and multiple priorities.
- Smartserve and Food Handling certifications and familiarity with food/beverage industry best practices is an asset
- Willing to work flexible hours
Interested applicants should forward a soft copy of a current resume in confidence to The Globe and Mail’s Careers Page: https://www.theglobeandmail.com/about/work-at-the-globe/.
Please quote the posting code 2018-144 at the top of your resume or in your cover letter.
Please submit your applications by Friday, September 14, 2018.
THE GLOBE AND MAIL INC. IS DEDICATED TO EQUITY IN THE WORKPLACE
At The Globe and Mail, we are committed to fostering an inclusive, accessible work environment, where all employees feel valued, respected and supported. The Globe and Mail offers accommodation for applicants with disabilities as part of its recruitment process. If you are contacted to arrange for an interview, please advise us if you require an accommodation.