The National Association for College Admission Counseling (NACAC) has an opening for the position of Event Manager, National College Fairs. The event manager coordinates the planning and production of NACAC National College Fairs. This includes programs in the Science, Technology, Engineering and Math Fairs (STEM), the Performing and Visual Arts College Fairs (PVA), and the National College Fair Programs (NCF). The event manager works with volunteer committees, business partners, and other staff members to ensure timely completion and successful delivery of all National College Fair programs. Extensive travel is required.
NACAC is an education association of more than 15,000 postsecondary and secondary schools, organizations, counselors, and college admission and financial aid officers that work with students as they make the transition from high school to postsecondary education. NACAC offers competitive compensation, an excellent benefits & retirement package, and a convenient location near the Clarendon metro station in Arlington, Virginia.
- Plan and manage designated National College Fairs and other college fair programs in STEM and the Performing and Visual Arts programs as assigned.
- Assess each fair’s unique needs through a comprehensive review of files, reports, staff consultation, and research on each fair’s performance and logistics.
- Negotiate contracts with facilities, hotels, and other vendors. Consult with senior staff concerning contract terms and approval.
- Compile information from facilities, vendors, and committees for each fair.
- Develop unique program management plans for each fair to ensure fulfillment by established deadlines and delivery of accurate program information to stakeholders.
- Provide accurate and verified content for fair documents, materials, publications, and website.
- Demonstrate continued commitment toward improving and expanding skills in the event management/marketing field and applying them toward continued improvement of the National College Fair, Performing and Visual Arts, and STEM programs.
- Inform NCF chairs or other vital committee members concerning fair performance history, budget parameters, and program guidelines.
- Monitor committee or city representative progress to ensure adherence concerning deadlines, compliance with committee budget, and overall NCF, PVA, or STEM College Fair Regulations.
- Develop, monitor, and revise floor plans as needed in conjunction with decorators.
- Strategically assign booths based on special requests, traffic flow, and safety concerns.
- Secure invoices, verify charges, and prepare check requests for timely payment.
- Develop and evaluate local marketing and promotion opportunities in collaboration with the senior college fair staff and the local arrangements committee. Utilize existing e-lists and research e-lists to identify new marketing and promotion opportunities. Assist in identifying and communicating with important local community based groups to promote each fair.
- Continuously monitor overall fair performance (exhibitor registrations, attendee registration, and hotel block utilization) and adjust promotion and other plans as needed.
- Develop physical arrangements for each fair and share with facilities, decorator, and applicable vendors within appropriate timeframes.
- Inventory existing signage and identify other signage needs with committee. Submit special sign orders within specified timeframes.
- Reconcile registration records with booth assignments and provide final floor plan and booth sign orders with decorator prior to the fair.
- Ensure onsite fulfillment of contributor agreements.
- Ensure each fair remains within budget and consult with senior staff where there are exceptions and/or extenuating circumstances.
- Coordinate travel arrangements in advance and troubleshoot if travel complications arise to ensure adequate program coverage.
- Provide onsite supervision of local arrangements committees, exhibitors, decorator, facility personnel, security, paramedics, TRC, and other vendors to ensure contract fulfillment.
- Arrange information booth and signage and distribute materials at the fair.
- Process onsite registrations and report to the data management team after the fair.
- Troubleshoot areas of concern onsite.
- Evaluate each fair’s performance, report findings, and make recommendations for future years.
- Electronically scan all fair contracts, invoices, and documentation in accordance with record keeping standards.
- Develop best practices to be incorporated into the Event Manager Manual.
- Assist department senior staff with new initiatives to advance the National College Fair programs.
- Assist department senior staff with the planning and execution of other meetings, programs, and events.
- Serve as the liaison between local arrangements committees, facilities, and NCF senior staff in preparation of future fair schedules.
- Respond to inquiries about all National College Fair programs.
- Network with community based organization directors, city representatives, and PVA exhibitors who are involved in the promotion of the National College Fair programs.
- Keep current with emerging Web technology though relevant blogs, list-serves, and events.
- Provide lunch time and back-up staffing for the front desk per scheduled rotation or as required.
- Other duties as assigned by the senior associate director of National College Fairs.