Jane’s Walk Toronto Festival Coordination
Request for Proposals Maximum value of $10,000
Starting by February 4, 2019
Jane’s Walk, a project of Tides Canada, is an annual festival of free, citizen-led walking conversations inspired by Jane Jacobs. Jane’s Walks encourage people to share stories about their neighbourhoods, discover unseen aspects of their communities, and use walking as a way to connect with their neighbours. The 13th Annual Jane’s Walk Festival takes place on May 3, 4, and 5, 2019.
Since 2006, Jane’s Walk has grown from a small but energetic band of Toronto civic activists organizing free neighbourhood walking tours, to a global Festival which last year took place in 245 cities worldwide. While we aim to keep growing, Toronto will always be home base. Each year more than 100 walks take place across the GTA bringing out thousands of people into the streets, parks, and alleyways of our city.
Because of our size, the Toronto Festival requires coordination: this role involves community outreach, walk leader support, management of walk listings, and event promotion. The coordination team has to think on its feet, love a little chaos, and be creative, flexible, and even a little silly. Every year we hope to expand to new and more communities better reflecting the breadth and diversity of Toronto. So, part of this role will be charting new pathways and supporting more walk leaders to step into this celebration.
The Jane’s Walk Steering Committee is extending this Request for Proposals seeking a dynamic individual or team to organize Toronto’s 2019 Festival.
Does this sound like you or your organization? Do you have the skills and support structure in place and know that you could make the Toronto Jane’s Walk Festival amazing and special? Tell us how. Want to do this but know you can’t do it alone? Have a group of like-minded friends? Send us your proposal. Tell us who you are, what you would do, and how hiring your team to take on this role is the clearly better choice.
Submit your proposal describing your team and why you need to be the ones coordinating the 2019 Festival. In the proposal, let us know what’s your vision for success and how you are going to get there.
If you love cities, storytelling, and want to inspire grassroots action, let us know:
1. How do you plan to engage a variety of communities, covering a broad sweep of our city’s neighbourhoods and suburbs?
2. How would you engage neighbourhoods outside the downtown core, encouraging people leaders who may never have participated before?
3. What is the best way to support walk leaders to develop their walking tours, post them online, and get the word out using existing tools and resources?
4. We can’t assume everyone knows about Jane’s Walk just because we love it. What does Jane’s Walk sound and look like in 2019?
5. Who is going to help spread the word?
6. How can you leverage the community and local businesses to make Jane’s Walk a success in 2019?
Skills and Experience expected of you and your team:
● Strong communication skills
● Experience in community event organizing, marketing, social media
● Experience in volunteer support and coordination
● Strong knowledge and networks in city-building, culture, social justice, urbanism, community organizations, and civic engagement in Toronto
● Proven ability to work independently
● Proven ability to plan and execute complex projects
● Knowledge of online content management (especially WordPress)
The contract will run from the start of February through to the end of May. In the lead-up to the Festival, the work load will increase, with a heavy bump-up in April and through the Festival weekend. Follow up and reporting will follow the Festival as well. We have a labour budget of $10,000 (including HST) for this opportunity. If your proposal requires hard costs (equipment, advertising, etc.), please include a budget break down of these costs. The Jane’s Walk Project Office is located at 401 Richmond, but the bulk of the work will be done from your location in the GTA.
How to Apply:
Please send a proposal including examples of previous work with references and a brief cover letter to Geraldine Cahill, Jane’s Walk Steering Committee Chair at email@example.com with the subject line “Toronto Festival Coordination.” We will accept applications until the position is filled.
For more information about Jane’s Walk and Tides Canada, please visit: