The Arc seeks a Director of Conferences and Events to envision and produce national conferences, events and meetings which educate and engage participants to advance the civil rights of people with intellectual and developmental disabilities. The Director is responsible for the successful planning of four national events per year, including the National Convention with 1,000+ attendees. The successful candidate is able to work across teams and collaborate with key internal and external partners to create the dynamic, inspiring and informative, high production value, events attendees have come to expect from The Arc. The Director will mentor a full-time Associate and work closely with a third-party planner.
- Responsible for managing all facets of the events process for The Arc including planning and implementing timelines, contract negotiations, vendor management, expense monitoring and budgeting, record keeping, on-site management, staff and volunteer coordination.
- Lead the planning and implementation of all external conferences, events and meetings. Current annual conferences include Disability Policy Seminar (spring), NCE Summer Leadership Institute (summer) and The Arc’s National Convention (fall).
- Lead and facilitate staff assigned to Catalyst Awards (fall) team, including the selection process for Catalyst Award winners, development of the program, VIP travel logistics, supporting corporate sponsors, collaboration on media strategy and talking points and scripts for speakers as needed.
- Assure all conferences and events maintain the quality and service that our attendees, exhibitors and sponsors expect, including resolving all issues that arise in a timely manner.
- Provide high level oversite and management of all event requests for supports and services, including but not limited to; CART, ASL, large print, braille, dietary restrictions, food allergies, fragrance free venues and sensory/quiet room access.
- Conduct site visits and recommend city and site venues, negotiate all aspects of the conference plan, select and manage vendors.
- Create and responsibly manage event budgets, including projecting attendance, revenues and expenses, and providing timely reporting of results.
- Conduct post-event evaluation, utilizing data to recommended changes and improvements for future events.
- Provide logistical support for quarterly board meetings, small fundraising events, small program events and internal all-staff meetings.
- Oversees and manages logistics for national staff traveling to out of town events including; coordinating air and ground transportation, securing accommodations, on-site meals, per diem calculations and general event support schedule.
- Lead and facilitate staff assigned to The Arc’s National Convention and Catalyst Awards teams to produce annual event with 1,000+ attendees. Provide input and coordinate logistics and production for all aspects of the event, including program design (e.g themes, speakers, call for sessions, stage design), audio-visual, shipping and facilities set-up, food and beverage, marketing and promotion, corporate sponsorship, and all special events tied to convention.
- Support team leaders for Disability Policy Seminar and Summer Leadership Institute by coordinating event planning and logistics for these events, including managing online platforms used in event production (e.g. call for proposals, registration, schedule management, mobile app, evaluation).
- Coordinate team members from across program, public policy, marketing and communications, media and public relations and development staff to effectively collaborate in production of events, including ensuring quality substantive content and attendees experience.
- Collaborates with the in-house sponsorship team to ensure that the conference will support requirements outlined in sponsors agreements.
- Mentor and provide direction to members of teams they lead and a fulltime Conferences and Events Associate.
- Other duties as assigned within the scope of responsibility and requirements of this job
- Bachelor's Degree required.
- 8+ years of relevant professional experience, including working on multi-day events with over 1,000 attendees.
- Strong vendor management and expert contract negotiation skills.
- Skilled in online meeting platforms such as Webex.
- Demonstrated ability to manage a budget.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and superior writing skills.
- Creative with an ability to make conference experiences better and visually exciting.
- Ability to maintain a positive attitude in high-stress environment.
- Good crises management skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to work cross-departmentally while adapting to diverse leadership styles.
- Experience relationship building with external partners and organizations.
- Knowledge of Audio/Visual systems and technology.
How to Apply:
Applications are accepted online only. To apply to this position visit https://thearc.recruiterbox.com/
The Arc is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, age, or other legally protected characteristics.
When an applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to compete for a job, they may request it orally or in writing (please visit the contact us page on the web; www.thearc.org).
About The Arc:
The Arc is the largest national community-based organization advocating for and serving people with intellectual and developmental disabilities and their families. We encompass all ages and more than 100 different diagnoses including autism, Down syndrome, Fragile X syndrome, and various other developmental disabilities.
With about 630 state and local chapters nationwide, The Arc is on the front lines to ensure that people with intellectual and developmental disabilities and their families have the support and services they need to be fully engaged in their communities. The Arc works with its federation of state and local chapters to create an impressive network of human service agencies ensuring they have the strongest civil rights advocates promoting and protecting their needs at all levels.