Manager, Viacom Special Events
New York, NY
- Job Locations
- US-NY-New York
- iCIMS ID
Overview and Responsibilities
Viacom Special Events, the corporate events group for Viacom channels, brands and internal business units, is seeking a Special Events Manager for the New York City office. The successful candidate must have strong creative, logistical, negotiation, budgeting, written and verbal skills. The ideal candidate needs to have the ability to manage multiple elements of a project from catering to security, staffing to venue selection and an expertise of events process with production and design knowledge. The ability to effectively lead a diverse team that includes coordinators, PA’s, freelancers as well as interns and vendors is critical to success in this position.
- The person in this role manages small to medium sized events with budgets of up to $250,000.
- The manager must work with internal clients to create and meet project goals while also managing expectations around budget, messaging and logistics.
- Multi-tasking is a required skill – with a strong ability to handle multiple elements within a project as well as work on multiple projects at one time.
- Strong attention to detail is pivotal to the development & success of all events and departmental contributions.
- The position requires management of multiple freelance coordinators & production assistants
- Someone who understands the integral role of events to the company and can convey this to colleagues and clients to create a collaborative process with goal to successfully execute and manage a sound event plan.
- Someone with strong creative ideas, always looking for the next “best thing” and remains engaged in current event industry trends/thinking.
- The manager evaluates event success, metrics and “key learnings” to continually improve and increase value of our investment in events.
- Optimistic, passionate, values the input of others and can inspire the same characteristics in others.
- Participating in pro social activities for the department and company.
- Working as part of a team to produce a wide variety of events.
- Pre-planning events that could include, but not limited to, annual tent-poles, consumer facing festival activations, experiential events, client engagement programs, executive dinners & meetings and internal conferences.
- Developing and implementing event plans including, but not limited to, the following areas:
- Budgeting: Creation and reconciliation; invoice approval and processing; P-card and petty cash usage/management
- Timelines: Generate meeting schedules; deadlines; client updates and approvals
- Legal: Contract negotiations, process legal approvals/input/insurance requests and permits as needed.
- Venue: Research, information for restaurants, concert or other venues as well as site surveys, negotiating, contracting and front of house plans.
- Food & Beverage: Work closely with caterer and venue staff on menu planning and buffet/table/seating/bar placement
- Staffing: Hiring and supervising freelance staff & vendors; staffing plan for coordinators and PAs
- Creative: Provide valuable creative input and vision to process; oversee requests for creative materials; invites, signage, credentials, video tapes etc.
- Activities: Research and enhance event experience(s) with on site activities; oversee event set-up, rental orders etc.
- Security: Create a security plan, in conjunction with production management as well as talent management and security departments.
- Transportation: Create a transportation plan as needed
- Printed Materials: Oversee production of onsite materials; directional signage, disclaimers etc
- Vendors: Research new vendors & experiential activations, assess vendor/partner recommendations and manage/negotiate with vendors.
- Office: Set-up on site event/production office in conjunction with production management
- Travel, weekend and evening ability a must
- Reports to the Senior Director, Viacom Special Events
- 5-7 years of proven success in the areas of event management or other relevant event production experience
- Strong event background; entertainment/media/digital industry background a plus
- Proven ability to define optimal processes & management structure to accomplish goals
- Strong budgeting/financial skills
- Top-notch oral and written communication skills
- Ability to work fluidly with senior management in many areas of the company
- Highly organized, yet possessing an ability to think creatively and find creative solutions to problems.
- Strong team-building skills and an ability to thrive in an environment with many stakeholders.
- Strong creative skills and an ability to take projects from creative vision to completion
We’re an equal opportunity employer (EOE).
At Viacom, the spirit of inclusion feeds into everything that we do, on-screen and off. From the programming and movies we create to employee benefits/programs and social impact outreach initiatives, we believe that opportunity, access, resources and rewards should be available to and for the benefit of all. Viacom is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, creed, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, marital status, disability, gender identity, gender expression, and Veteran status.