Job Function and Responsibilities
The Fundraising Events Manager contributes to the success of the Chicago Zoological Society and its financial sustainability by overseeing the production and execution of fundraising events. Provides additional support to the Director of Philanthropic Outreach and Events by assisting with meetings, programs and events. Works with Director of Philanthropic Partnerships to manage the CZS Associates young professionals’ board.
The primary duties and responsibilities:
- Under the guidance of the Director of Philanthropic Outreach and Events, the Fundraising Events Manager is responsible for executing Chicago Zoological Society’s fundraising events, including, but not limited to: The Whirl, Wines in the Wild, and the Conservation Leadership Awards Dinner.
- Manages the coordination and implementation of all aspects of event planning, including working with event consultants, CZS staff, and volunteers. Develops and produces all event printed materials, communicates with vendors, manages contracts, and oversees event production.
- Under the guidance of the Director of Philanthropic Outreach and Events, serves as primary liaison and support for the CZS Associates. Leads recruiting efforts, coordinates meetings, and manages events and programs for the group.
- Prepares necessary meeting materials and correspondence surrounding all Women’s Board and CZS Associates events in a timely and accurate manner. Maintains accurate financial records for these events and works with internal and external vendors responsible for event logistics. Cultivates a strong working relationship with the Chair and members of the groups and coordinates communication between the Board of Trustees, Governing Member Ambassadors, Women’s Board, and the Society.
- Orchestrates and implements logistics for Women’s Board and CZS Associates full board meetings, committee meetings, and special project committee meetings. Attends meetings and records, prepares, and distributes annotated agendas, minutes and other materials.
- Other related duties as assigned.
Position Requirements and Specifications
This position includes the following requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in Liberal Arts, Communications, Business or other relevant field or equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Minimum 3 years relevant, comparable experience working in a development, non-profit, hospitality, or administrative position.
- Creative individual with the ability to think strategically and deal with changing priorities, emergent issues, multiple projects, and clients simultaneously.
- Self-motivated, results-oriented, confident, and customer-oriented, with strong people skills. Must be highly flexible and able to adapt and respond to change.
- Ability to establish and maintain strong rapport and positive relationships.
- Articulate with strong interpersonal and communication skills, including verbal, listening, and presentation skills required. English fluency at a full professional proficiency required.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Computer proficiency with Microsoft Outlook, Word, and Excel required. Experience with database packages essential.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of privileged information.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet critical deadlines.
- Cultural competency; experience and/or ability to work and interact effectively with a diverse, multicultural audience.
- Valid driver’s license required.
Preferred qualifications include:
- Experience with PowerPoint and other Office software preferred.
- Multilingual ability, Spanish fluency a plus.
- Raiser’s Edge experience preferred.
Additional Information: This position description summarizes the primary duties and functions of this position, but should not be considered a complete listing of every duty the incumbent may ever be called upon to perform. This position is highly visible, and incumbent interacts with all departments, as well as a range of external constituencies. Must have professional appearance and demeanor. Incumbent is required to gain an understanding of the organization, its mission, vision, values, and operating philosophies, and how developmental activities impact the operation and success of the organization. Individual is expected to be present at development, marketing, and other events sponsored by the Society for its employees, Board members, and other professional participants and audiences. Position requires early morning, evenings, and weekends. Some occasional local and domestic travel may be required. Thus, individual must be prepared to make a significant commitment to the organization.