|Present Position Number
|Role Code Title
||PR & Marketing Specialist III
||Outreach & Events Coordinator
The Office of Advancement at the Virginia Institute of Marine Science (VIMS) invites qualified applicants to apply for the Outreach & Events Coordinator position.
The Office of Advancement raises private funds to support VIMS, increases the visibility of VIMS, and engages public audiences in the life of the institute.
The Outreach and Events Coordinator will report to the Assistant Director of Advancement, Outreach & Engagement and will have responsibility for coordinating and delivering outreach programs that communicate VIMS’ mission and strategic priorities to the public, garner support for VIMS, and encourage participants to become further engaged with the institute.
The position acts as the primary coordinator and executor of community visibility events, reaching more than 20,000 members of the public a year through an outreach program of 100+ events annually.
The Outreach and Events Coordinator will also manage outreach volunteers and will assist with the coordination of special events.
Core responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Coordinates logistics and advertising for outreach programs and activities such as campus tours, festival exhibits, lectures, speaker requests, and our signature annual open house event, Marine Science Day, which reaches 3000+ attendees. Increases awareness of VIMS’ mission and creates lasting connections with diverse public audiences.
- Provides support and coordinates logistics for special events, such as donor appreciation events and annual giving activities, which are designed to steward VIMS donors and encourages continued engagement. Organizes event staff, coordinates with vendors, manages RSVPs, prepares event materials, and coordinates with VIMS faculty, staff, and students to provide programming during events.
- Collaborates with supervisor, aquarist, and institute faculty, staff, and students to maintain Visitor Center exhibits. Creates new exhibits and activities that communicate VIMS’ mission and strategic priorities.
- Manages more than a dozen volunteers that assist with programs and events. Recruits, interviews, and trains new volunteers and provides continuing education, evaluation, and recognition for active volunteers.
Bachelor’s degree in Marine Science or related field, or the equivalent combination of education, training, and/or experience.
- Knowledge of marine science, and familiarity with a variety of marine plants, animals, and related research efforts.
- Knowledge of outreach principles and strategies with the ability to develop and implement new ideas and educational programs and events.
- Demonstrated creativity, with the ability to design and make educational and display items.
- Strong oral and written communication skills, with the ability to increase awareness and garner support and connect with diverse audiences.
- Strong interpersonal skills, with the proven ability to foster strong relationships with internal/external constituents and exercise sound judgement and diplomacy in all interactions.
- Strong planning skills with the ability to coordinate a variety of programs, develop scheduling methods and coordinate logistical details.
- Demonstrated proficiency in a variety of software applications to include MS Office (specifically Outlook, Word, Excel) and familiarity with web-based applications and databases.
- Strong problem solving skills, with the ability to overcome obstacles, anticipate problems and put preventative measures in place.
- Strong organization skills, with the proven ability to work independently, while managing multiple and competing priorities within specific deadlines.
- Ability to work in a variety of weather conditions. Ability to lift, walk, bend, and tolerate periods of standing during events.
- Experience working with scientists or the scientific community to create educational outreach experiences and communicate scientific research to the public.
- Experience developing and coordinating educational outreach events and programs for a variety of audiences.
- Experience leading, coordinating, or training volunteers.
- Knowledge of marketing and communication strategies for promoting events and programs.
- Knowledge of development and annual giving strategies a plus.
- Skills in photo editing and graphic design. Demonstrated ability to use Adobe Creative a plus.
- Experience designing Visitor Center displays and working with exhibit fabricators is a plus.
- Experience using Constant Contact is desirable.
- Experience coordinating development and/or special events and working with outside vendors a plus.
|Advertised Pay Range
||up to $36,000, commensurate with experience.
||VIMS Advancement - 111600
||VIMS - Gloucester
|University Salary Range
|Job Open Date
|Review Begin Date
|Job Close Date
|Open Until Filled
|Special Application Instructions
|Conditions of Employment:
- This is a restricted position, subject to continuation of funding.
- This is a non-exempt position, eligible to receive overtime in accordance with the Fair Labor Standards Act and university policy. This position requires work in the evenings and on weekends.
- This position requires the ability to work successfully in a variety of outdoor weather conditions. .Frequent outdoor work in a variety of weather conditions is required for events>
- Position requires lifting, walking, bending, and periods of standing during events.
William & Mary values diversity and invites applications from underrepresented groups who will enrich the research, teaching and service missions of the university. The University is an Equal Opportunity /Affirmative Action employer and encourages applications from women, minorities, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
|Background Check Statement
William & Mary is committed to providing a safe campus community. W&M conducts background investigations for applicants being considered for employment. Background investigations include reference checks, a criminal history record check, and when appropriate, a financial (credit) report or driving history check.