Work at VFS
There is no such thing as an ordinary day when you work at Vancouver Film School. It’s a creative and fast-paced environment where you’re part of recruiting and educating the next generation of actors, filmmakers, video game developers and creative thinkers. Our unique culture is all about celebrating the pure passion and unwavering perseverance of our students as they go through their own amazing personal journeys towards a career in the entertainment arts. Constantly evolving and updating to meet industry demands, VFS believes results matter, and that extends from our classrooms and experienced faculty to our hard-working marketing, admissions, and support departments — and well beyond. If you’d like to join our team, simply browse the open positions below. If none of them seem to fit your particular skillsets, but you think you belong at VFS, apply here. We can’t wait to hear from you.
You are an enthusiastic, high-energy individual ready to create and manage events that are both remarkable and memorable, but above all deliver real marketing results. Reporting to the Events & Experience Manager, the Event Coordinator will manage and support world-class events offered at VFS. The successful candidate will have extensive experience in planning and executing successful events for diverse audiences, with a desire to learn more and grow in the field. This demanding role relies on your attention to every detail and your ability to work in a high-pressure environment while collaborating closely with numerous stakeholders.
You are responsible for managing events and promotions within the Marketing Events team, and attending events as needed. You will be accountable for all event-related matters and must be willing to work evenings and weekends. Solid communication with the Events & Experience Manager and Director of Marketing is the key to success in this role.
VFS runs multiple events at any given time, including open houses, conferences and expos, guest speaker presentations, summer and spring educational programs, tradeshows, workshops and more.
- To manage successful planning and delivery of projects, campaigns, marketing materials, and events (across all levels) as decided by the Events & Experience Manager. This includes sourcing venues, managing contracts and developing partnerships in order to leverage best value.
- Venue and supplier management, negotiating lowest cost and highest quality of service. Building positive working relationships to ensure continued service excellence.
- Create and manage event registration platforms, working with the Web Developer to update VFS.edu where necessary.
- Design creative briefs and liaise with Creative team to produce a range of marketing materials specific to events. Ensure assets are delivered within required timelines.
- Identify, engage and maintain communications with event speakers. Ensure they are briefed and prepared to provide effective presentations and materials.
- Respond to attendee queries per event.
- Manage specific event budgets, invoice and receipt management, and post-event budget reconciliation.
- Post-event analysis, KPI and reporting. Deliver and share results with Events & Experience Manager.
- Liaise and build relationships with Directors, Heads of Departments, and Admissions staff to coordinate events.
- To champion VFS as a world-class educational facility, ensuring events and activities across all departments are supported and in-line with VFS' strategy.
- Identify third-party stakeholders and educational partners in order to promote events.
- Assist Events & Experience Manager with overall event calendar and budget forecasting.
- Research to identify new event opportunities.
- Development of event team processes and guidelines.
- Offer strategic support to Events & Experience Manager.
- Other duties as required by Events & Experience Manager and Director of Marketing.
- Post-secondary education and certification in Event Management or related field is highly desired and will be looked upon favorably.
- 1-2 years of direct experience leading event design, planning and management of conferences, expos, tradeshows, exhibition, open houses, workshops and short educational programs and similar events is required.
- Experience in delivering events for a post-secondary educational institution is an advantage.
- Proven relationship management skills - including the ability to bring together multiple stakeholders in pursuit of common goals to deliver successful events and activities.
- Ability to work in a cross-functional, collaborative environment.
- Experience in managing on-the-day event teams, some line management experience preferred.
- Ability to speak in public and on stage to an audience.
- Ability to solve problems independently and under pressure.
- Ability to coordinate the efforts of team members in support of an event.
- Superior organizational and time management skills.
- Demonstrated capacity for accuracy, attention to detail, and thoroughness.
- Excellent written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated good judgment and initiative.
- Fluent in Microsoft Office, experience and knowledge of CRM, event planning platforms, and website development.
- Flexibility to travel to events and work evenings.