(Full time, 35 hours a week)
Canada has one of the highest rates of multiple sclerosis in the world, making MS Canada’s disease. The MS Society of Canada is the country’s leading MS advocate, funding leading research in MS and programs & services that help people live well with the disease.
Reporting to the Manager, Development, the Specialist, Development - Signature Events is an integral member of the BC & Yukon Division (BCY) development team that strives to carry out the mission statement of the Multiple Sclerosis Society of Canada. Working with the Manager, Walk and Bike, the Specialist - Signature Events will be primarily responsible for developing, executing, evaluating and growing the revenue and engagement of participants in their Peer to Peer fundraising for the MS Bike and MS Walks, alongside supporting other fundraising initiatives in the BC & Yukon Division as required.
This position is a position of trust. The incumbent will be required to complete the screening process including completion of appropriate background checks in compliance with the National Screening Measures Policy.
• Serves as expert and stewardship lead for all MS Walk and MS Bike events across BCY Division
• Responsible for the maximization of revenue by supporting participant engagement and their peer to peer fundraising for MS Bike Fraser Valley and assigned MS Walk events in BC (currently Vancouver, Surrey, Tri-Cities, Langley and Fraser Valley); drives provincial strategy as directed by management within assigned events
• In conjunction with the fundraising and communications teams, develop and implement the MS Bike and MS Walk timeline, marketing, and media plans
• Manages and develops strong relationships between the MS Society and event fundraisers, sponsors, volunteers and community groups
• Plays a lead role in supporting IChallenge and 3rd party events when not linked to corporations.
• Participates in and supports the Society’s core fundraising events
Participant Engagement and Stewardship:
• Manages and develops strong relationships between the MS Society and event fundraisers, sponsors, volunteers and community groups.
• Maximizes new team and participant recruitment through a variety of recruitment initiatives for both MS Walk and MS Bike
• Maximizes participant retention with relationship building activities throughout the year
• Stewards high-value participants and teams on a regular basis to increase revenue and long-term value, encourage engagement and connection to the Society.
• Communicates with participants and teams on a regular basis to encourage engagement and connection to the Society
• Identifies and cultivates strong relationships with community event leads across the division, providing training and consultation as needed
• Works in collaboration with the Coordinator, Volunteer Engagement to recruit MS Bike and MS Walk Organizing Committee members by:
o Having regular meetings with the Coordinator, VE to track progress of volunteer recruitment and training
o Providing the volunteer requirements of the events to the Coordinator, VE in a timely manner, including number of volunteers and approve JDs together
o Work together to contact previous committee members immediately post events, to recruit for the following year
o Working together to steward and build relationships with the committee members to ensure they feel supported and valued by the organization
o Collaboratively providing training materials and ongoing support to the committee
• Attends MS Bike and MS Walk Organizing Committee meetings
• Supports the Committee Chairs in ensuring committee members understand their roles and responsibilities and are working to meet event deadlines
• Assumes any portfolio roles which are not filled by committee members
• Works with Specialist Development, Corporate Partnerships & Events, and Manager, Leadership Giving and Corporate Relations to secure past sponsorship and cultivate new sponsorship opportunities within the established sponsorship framework for MS Walk and MS Bike
• Works with the Organizing Committees to generate leads and build relationships in the community
• Ensures benefits of sponsorship outlined in the agreements are delivered
• Works to help sponsors activate their engagement in the event
• Works in close conjunction with the Director, Communications and Marketing:
o in the production of marketing, promotional, participant retention and pledge enhancement materials
o on direct promotion campaigns - print, PSA’s (local and site specific)
o on the strategy and production of web marketing materials
• Works with the Organizing Committees to coordinate external promotions
• Works collaboratively with the Development Coordinator and Managers of Walk & Bike, to ensure the event plans and planning documents are kept up to date to deliver proper tracking of events planning progress to management team, including but not limited to:
o Site plans, routes, equipment, signage, entertainment, food, event agendas
o Safety and emergency protocols
o Volunteer requirements
Post Event Logistics:
Including but not limited to:
• Develops post event stewardship and acknowledgement plans for sponsors, team captains, participants, suppliers and event supporters
• Distributes thank-you letters to volunteers in conjunction with the Coordinator, Volunteer Engagement
• Coordinates post event equipment/supplies inventory
• Organizes Event Committee wrap up meetings for event evaluation
• Creates final event reports
• Manages the MS Walk and MS Bike event budgets in conjunction with the BCY Management Team
• Works with the Administration Department to ensure database and event accounting procedures are followed
• Attends department meetings
• Responsible for supervising one employee and oversees the work of volunteers
• College diploma with at least 3-5 years’ experience in event management, participant stewardship, fundraising and sponsorship within a not-for-profit environment, or the equivalent education and experience.
• A valid driver’s license is required and access to a reliable vehicle.
• Able to work as part of a team in a fast paced, high pressure, professional environment
• Strong customer service and relationship building skills with diverse groups – individuals, corporate, volunteer groups
• Ability to be flexible and respond to a diverse work load
• Good organizational ability, attention to detail and ability to prioritize effectively
• Ability to solve problems and practice good decision-making
• Demonstrated budget and financial management skills
• Strong communication skills, both written and oral
• Comfortable interacting with individuals with disabilities
• Demonstrates initiative, is goal oriented, and a self-starter
• Strong computer skills, including proficiency with all Microsoft Office programs and experience working in a database system
• Evening and weekend work will be required as necessary to ensure the success of the events.
• Physical demands of special events include packing, lifting carrying and loading
• Constraints of weather elements at sites during special events
• Travel primarily throughout the Metro Vancouver area, and/or various parts of the province, to other provinces, and to conferences or professional development opportunities as appropriate.
Location: Burnaby, BC
We are working on a world free of MS, where improving people’s quality of life is a part of our everyday life. If you too are passionate about our mission, we invite your expression of interest and resume submission to:
Multiple Sclerosis Society of Canada
Application Deadline: July 21, 2019
• Applicants must include a cover letter and state salary expectations within their application in order to be considered
• Applicants must be legally entitled to work in Canada to be considered for this position
Applicants will be contacted throughout the posting period.
The MS Society has a bold vision for the future. We have a team of dedicated professionals who share a common goal to end MS and to improve the lives of those affected by MS. We strive to be an employer of choice and provide a working environment that values diversity, team work, and professional development.
The MS Society of Canada embraces diversity and encourages all qualified applicants to apply.
More information about the MS Society is available at www.mssociety.ca.