Event Program Coordinator
Department Recreation and Culture
Pay Range $67,238 - $82,011
Closing Date 7/17/19
Temporaray Full-Time (CUPE 1329T)
Open to all current Town of Oakville employees and external applicants
This is a contract opportunity lasting for approximately 18 months
Reporting to the Senior Manager, Cultural Services, this position is responsible for the coordination, development and administration of the town’s Event Section. Responsibilities include production responsibilities related to the town’s own direct-delivered events and festivals; and providing support and facilitation to more than 420 community-produced events annually.
This position is also responsible for the on-going development of policies, procedures and strategies pertaining to events. It coordinates several departments’ roles in event support and manages relationships with all these departments as well as relationships with external event producers.
As the Event Coordinator you will:
- Coordinate the town’s internal and external event management process, including:
- Provide centralized corporate leadership to municipal facilitation of community events
- Coordinates work of staff from various town departments on details, policies and processes related to community events (Finance, Ec. Dev., Parks, Roads, Transit, Bylaw)
- To advise and enforce staff from various external agencies on details, policies and processes related to community events (Halton Waste, Public Health, Police)
- Receiving and vetting event application forms to ensure events meet town policies and follow proper town processes, and issuing all event permits
- Providing guidance, advice and direction to event clients and community organizations to ensure event success
- Oversee the deployment of town resources from various departments (Parks, Roads, Transit, Bylaw)
- Ensure event logistics adhere to municipal regulations (i.e.; permits, bylaws), risk management review
- Provide input into the development of related policies and procedures.
- Implement and continue to enhance the Town of Oakville Event Strategy Implementation Plan
- Develop effective and efficient policies and procedures to facilitate events and cost-effective services in support of community and town events.
- Develop and maintain strong partnerships with key stakeholders ( e.g. BIA’s) relative to event delivery including investigating new opportunities
- Provide interim support and act as liaison to event organizers as required.
- Coordinate the town’s Event Support Program
- Lead and motivate project teams made of internal staff, event stakeholders and volunteers to ensure it is performed effectively and efficiently and in accordance with town or departmental standards, levels of service, specifications, policies, procedures and legislated requirements;
- Lead the production of a selection of ongoing (i.e. Oakville Children’s Festival) and one off ( i.e. Hometown Hockey, Pan Am) town-produced events, animations and activities.
- Identify and plan for the staffing needs of the Section, and individual events.
- Oversee, implement and manage the financial plan for the Event Section
- Completion of a degree in Event Management, Recreation, Business Administration, Marketing and Communication, Tourism or equivalent.
- Demonstrated experience (5 years of related experience preferred) as an event coordinator with event lead responsibilities for diverse types and sizes of events.
- Demonstrated experience in event logistics, sponsorship development, marketing, volunteer coordination.
- Strong knowledge of event industry and related best practices.
- Ability to work independently and as a team member on assigned tasks and projects.
- Efficient and clear communication, interpersonal and conflict resolution skills.
- Ability to work unsupervised, in a leadership role, make informed decisions and balance multiple priorities while acting as a key point person in a busy event environment.
- Commitment to delivering high-quality customer service.
- Fluent with Microsoft Office Suite of products (Word, Excel, Power Point, Outlook)
- Working knowledge of CLASS and Sharepoint software would be considered an asset
- Willingness and ability to work shifts, evenings, weekends and holidays as required.
- Successful completion of a degree or diploma in event management/coordination, project management, public relations or similar program.
- Industry certifications in event management (CSEP, CMP) preferred.
- Must possess a valid Ontario Class "G" Driver's License, and have access to a vehicle for use to attend various events sites.
Applications for this position must be received at oakville.ca in the employment section by no later than midnight on July 17, 2019
DATED: July 8, 2019
This job profile reflects the general requirements necessary to perform the principal functions of the job. This does not include all of the work requirements of the job. Applicants are required to demonstrate through their application and in the interview process that their qualifications match those specified. Applicants may also be required to undergo testing. Assessments for this position may include an interview, written and practical tests. The successful candidate will be required to pass each element of the recruitment process with a minimum score of 75%.