Position: Special Events Coordinator
Reports to: Director, Alumni Relations
Start Date: ASAP
Job Posting Date: July 12, 2019
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Application Requirement: Interested external applicants to upload a covering letter stating salary expectations and CV via Career Connector at https://careers.cmcc.ca/
The successful candidate will be responsible for the project life cycle of event programming (planning, executing, reviewing) of annual fundraisers and friend-raisers, including major one-off events as they arise. Duties include coordinating set budgets, marketing the event, procuring and managing resources and recommending improvements for the development of future projects. The individual will be responsible for all communications, internal and external, related to each event.
- Plan, manage and evaluate major annual events including:
- Homecoming Reunion (social events and Continuing Education)
- Backs in Motion 10km Run & 5km Run/Walk (community race)
- BackSwing Golf Tournament (golf tournament and silent auction hosted in BC and Ontario)
- Practice OpportUnity Tradeshow (keynote speaker, panel presentation; vendor and career fair)
- Fashion Show
- Assist/plan, manage and evaluate additional events including:
- Remembrance Day, Student Awards Receptions, Holiday Market (campus wide event)
- Blood Donor Clinics
- Other CMCC hosted events as required
- Coordinate and manage set budgets: monitor revenues and expenses, prepare final financial statements and reports and conduct a financial analysis.
- Ensure compliance of SOP, park and street permits.
- Recruit and manage staff, student and public event volunteers.
- Prepare event promotional strategy using various mediums including print advertisements, website updates, tradeshow marketing, social media, email marketing, direct mail, word of mouth campaigns, PR opportunities, etc.
- Manage fundraising program within applicable events such as the peer-to-peer fundraising campaign for Backs in Motion and the Fashion Show.
- Coordinate special event gift processing in accordance with Canada Revenue Agency regulations.
- Provide guidance for volunteers and other areas in the institution in the best practices of fundraising, marketing and event planning.
- Provide coverage for Director, Alumni Relations during absence.
- Other duties as assigned
- 2-year College Diploma in a related field
- Special event planning designation and/or equivalent experience preferred
- Minimum of 3-5 years related experience in a not-for-profit environment preferred
- Above average skills in writing and copyediting for promotional material, reports, letters, and general announcements.
- Sound knowledge of MS Office and database programs (experience with Raiser’s Edge, Survey Monkey, Adobe Creative Suite and App technology is preferred.)
- Outstanding organizational skills and the ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously
- Strong interpersonal skills for interacting with individuals in various levels and external and internal stakeholders
- Budget development and implementation experience
- Ability to negotiate and follow-up on agreements with vendors
- Ability to work independently and as an effective team member
- Experience working with and supervising volunteers
- Dynamic and energetic approach to work
- Ability to travel and work flexible hours as needed (particularly at event time)
- Possession of a valid driver’s license and use of a car
- Revenue generating experience in event planning, preferably in sporting events is an asset
We thank all candidates in advance, but only those candidates who meet the minimum requirements of the job posting will be contacted.
Successful applicants shall be required to provide original transcripts to validate their academic qualifications as a condition of employment at CMCC. Any offer of employment is contingent upon successful completion of references.
In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005, and CMCC Accessibility Policy, accessible formats and communication supports are available upon request for all parts of the hiring process. Applicants are required to make their needs known in advance. Please contact Human Resources at
In our commitment to promote fair and equitable treatment of all employees and applicants, CMCC provides equal employment opportunities for all individuals regardless of age, sex, disability, race, ethnic origin, citizenship, creed, sexual orientation, marital status or any other ground as described in the Ontario Human Rights Code. CMCC’s implementation and support of employment initiatives encourage diversified labour force participation and equal access to opportunities based on merit and performance.