Meeting & Event Operations Lead, US Commercial
Req ID: 16241
Job Category: Commercial Operations
Location: Boston, MA
Posting Date: August 12, 2019
The Meeting & Event Operations Lead is a strategic business partner who will drive and lead the development and implementation of the Meeting and Event Operations Team at Alexion. This leadership role will serve as the business partner and subject matter expert to advise Commercial leadership on the Meeting and Events strategy. This position will work with cross-functional internal colleagues and external vendors to execute on projects in line with the functions overall strategic focus. Working as a leader on the US Commercial team, this position will manage, analyze, align and execute key strategic programs for its US Commercial partners, contributing to the overall success of the function and the commercial team’s strategic imperatives.
- Provide the strategic leadership, as well as operational ownership of the planning and execution of national, regional and local level meetings, speaker bureau operations and patient meetings.
- Design, develop, implement, and maintain SOPs for Alexion’s Meeting & Event Operation; continuously evaluate and evolve the meetings/events planning and execution processes and procedures to align with the growth of the business.
- Working with the TA leads, manage TA tactical plans and activity towards plan, develop primary and secondary tactics strategy and metrics reporting to plan. Actively communicate with key stakeholders from inception through execution and monitoring of plan.
- Provide strategic guidance/recommendations to ensure congress elements and internal meeting planning are in alignment with commercial tactical plans, brand and corporate goals; achieve consensus among cross functional team members regarding strategy/content and develop timelines, monitor status, maintain conference/events calendar and provide clear and comprehensive communications.
- Engage and supervise external meeting suppliers as needed and according to industry standards and stakeholder requirements.
- Responsible for on-site execution of events, including management of external vendors and meeting execution.
- Ability to lead, develop and mentor colleagues, with anticipation of team growth to support internal and external meetings and speaker bureau operations.
- Develop and implement KPI/ key metrics to constantly evaluate the ROI on national and regional meetings. Provide recommendations for continual improvements.
- Complete budget management throughout the lifecycle of the event, including final reconciliation.
- Work with business partners to create effective strategies to collect and analyze key data.
- Communication progress against performance targets through regular reporting and stakeholder engagement, including identification of achievements and areas for improvement.
- Develop and manage a SLA (service level agreement) metric and reporting tactics on external vendor KPIs.
- Proactively identify need for remediation (course correction) project plans and risk mitigation and implement with key stakeholders.
- Ability to guide the internal stakeholders on efficiencies to reduce overall meeting cost while improving the stakeholder and customer experience.
- Question the status quo, analyze data and deliver continuous improvement to our process and service delivery to exceed stakeholder expectations.
- Responsible for developing and driving next and best practice for the US Commercial team — supporting the evolution of the events we do across all meeting types.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
- Proven strong strategic meetings management experience.
- Extensive understanding and application of event planning concepts, practices and industry standards.
- Strategic, analytical thinker with strong decision making and problem-solving skills
- Experience working independently, developing action plans, implementing goals and objectives.
- Demonstrated ability to establish effective working relationships with both internal and external stakeholders.
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills and active listening to needs of business partner to formulate meeting agendas and programs.
- Being proactive-operate outside of the scope of expectations and be proactive in taking additional cross-functional responsibilities to improve efficiencies within respective conference and meeting managements.
- Bachelor’s degree, Business Administration, Liberal Arts, Communications, or Hospitality & Tourism Management required.
- 12+ years of experience in meeting and event management required.
- 7+ years of experience in pharmaceutical meeting experience required.
- Certified Meeting Professional (CMP) is preferred.
- Significant experience in supplier engagement and supplier performance management
- Ability and flexibility to travel and perform weekend work, as needed.
- Knowledge of PrRMA Code and current/emerging regulations governing interactions with HCPs and spend reporting along with current industry trends, technologies and regulations affecting the meetings/corporate industry.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office suite. Comfortable embracing new technologies and digital tools such as financial management, project management tools, mobile app technologies and Cvent Event Management.
Boston, MA, United States
Some opportunities happen only once in a lifetime – like a job where you have the extraordinary opportunity to change lives. At Alexion, such opportunities arise through our unwavering mission to serve patients and families affected by rare diseases. These patients are our guiding star, and we act with integrity, urgency, and discipline because we know their lives are at stake.
Alexion is a global biopharmaceutical company focused on serving patients and families affected by rare diseases through the discovery, development and commercialization of life-changing therapies. As the global leader in complement biology and inhibition for more than 20 years, Alexion has developed and commercializes the first and only approved complement inhibitor to treat patients with paroxysmal nocturnal hemoglobinuria (PNH), atypical hemolytic uremic syndrome (aHUS), and anti-acetylcholine receptor (AchR) antibody-positive generalized myasthenia gravis (gMG). Alexion also has two highly innovative enzyme replacement therapies for patients with life-threatening and ultra-rare metabolic disorders, hypophosphatasia (HPP) and lysosomal acid lipase deficiency (LAL-D). In addition, the company is developing two late-stage therapies, a second complement inhibitor and a copper-binding agent for Wilson disease. Alexion focuses its research efforts on novel molecules and targets in the complement cascade and its development efforts on the core therapeutic areas of hematology, nephrology, neurology, and metabolic disorders. Alexion has been named to the Forbes list of the World’s Most Innovative Companies seven years in a row and is headquartered in Boston, Massachusetts’ Innovation District. The company also has offices around the globe and serves patients in more than 50 countries.
Alexion’s aspiration is to be the most rewarding place to work, where people are empowered to make a difference and where diversity of backgrounds and ideas is encouraged. We are looking for talented individuals who share our passion and commitment to change the lives of patients with rare diseases. We hope you will consider joining our team. Further information about Alexion can be found at: www.alexion.com.
As a leading employer in our industry, Alexion is proud to offer a highly competitive package of base and incentive compensation as well as a comprehensive benefits program designed to support the health, wellness and financial security of our employees and their families. Benefits include group medical, vision and dental coverage, group and supplemental life insurance, 401(k) with company match, tuition reimbursement, relocation assistance and much more.
Alexion participates in E-Verify process. To learn more, please click on attached document(s)