Starlight Children’s Foundation® Canada has been dedicated to brightening the lives
of seriously ill children and their families for over 30 years. Focusing on the family as
a whole, our mission is to bring joy, laughter, relief and a whole lot of smiles. Our
large variety of in-hospital and outpatient programs help bring back some strength,
hope and lost childhood by being that reliable and shining star in a dark and stormy
What makes Starlight unique is that we are there for the entire journey — from
hospital to home.
Job Title Special Events & Operations Coordinator
(Full Time 1-year Contract)
Reports To VP, Special Events & Operations
Day-to-Day Direction Special Events Officer
Location Toronto, Ontario
Working in collaboration with the Special Events Officer, this exceptional individual
will assist in the planning, coordination and volunteer recruitment of Starlight’s
fundraising events (primarily first party & new business) in Toronto.
1. Special Event Coordinator:
• Assists in coordinating fundraising and all logistical elements of signature
events and new business including assisting with the following tasks -
overseeing event processes, coordinating meetings, sending invitations,
tracking RSVPs, collecting and tracking auction items, collecting and
reconciling payments and sending thank you letters.
• Guides participants through their fundraising efforts on matters related to
registration, donation handling and webpage management - including
troubleshooting fundraising related issues
• Secure donated in-kind items (products and/or services) for fundraising in
Silent Auction and Raffle via initial request solicitation (email, phone, inperson or mail) and follow-up phone calls/emails.
• Research new companies to solicit and add contact information to Starlight’s
• Confirm donations; acquire and record necessary information; log in kind and
monetary donations per best practices.
• Arrange pick-up or delivery of donated items to the Starlight Office.
• Write ‘thank you’ letters for Starlight to send directly to donors.
• Assist with preparing event materials including, invitation, sponsorship deck,
• Assist with development and delivery of on-site event materials (signage,
program, slides, etc.).
• General clerical duties for the Ontario office. Answering the door, answering
phones and ordering office supplies as needed.
• Clerical duties for events, including maintaining organized files on events
(lists, sponsorship information, invoices, etc.).
• Creates, prepares and distributes meeting minutes and supporting
• Enters donor information, event invitation and participant lists in Raisers
• Assist with preparing and deployment of e-messages via MailChimp.
• Assists with event websites, including content management/updates.
• Handles other duties as required.
3. Volunteer Coordination
The goal is to ensure that our organization is always assisted with the best and
most reliable volunteers, and that they are correctly utilized for the fulfilment of our
• Source and recruit volunteers through various techniques (databases, e-mail,
social media etc.) for the Ontario office.
• Collect information on availabilities and skills
• Arrange for appropriate training when needed
• Produce schedules for everyday activities
• Assign responsibilities to the right people for special events
• Communicate frequently with volunteers to ensure they are satisfied and
• Disseminate information for upcoming actions and events
• Keep detailed records of volunteers’ information and assignments in Razors
• One year with hands-on experience in Event Planning
• Post-secondary diploma required, preference for post-secondary degree, in a
related field (preferably Development or Event Planning).
• The ability to work well independently on several projects concurrently, and
possess excellent communication, organizational and creative thinking skills.
• Software proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint is required; knowledge
of and experience with Raisers Edge an asset.
• Organizational and prioritizing skills; problem solving and organizational skills;
attention to detail is imperative.
• Strong customer service oriented approach complemented by excellent
organizational and time management abilities.
• Ability to motivate and inspire volunteers
• Ability to use sound judgment and maintain discretion and confidentiality at all
• A valid driver’s license
Interested applicants are invited to submit a cover letter and resume via email to
Human Resources, referencing Special Event & Volunteer Coordinator by
September 25th , 2019.
Starlight will accommodate the needs of people with disabilities in our hiring process.
We thank all candidates that apply but only qualified candidates will be contacted for