Event Planning Specialist - Chicago, IL / San Antonio, TX
US-IL-Chicago | US-TX-San Antonio
- Position P11623
- Category Travel and Events
- Type Full-Time/Regular
The Wounded Warrior Project (WWP) Event Planning Specialist supports WWP Programs meetings and event planning for warriors and staff, including planning the logistics for the events, administering details, and providing onsite support, and identifying pursuing cost savings to maximize donor dollars.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Support WWP Programs team with meeting and events logistics for warriors and staff, including site selection, rate negotiation, catering, and assisting with on-site event support.
- Negotiate rates with vendors, including with hotels, ground transportation, and audio-visual companies.
- Create event menus and negotiate pricing and contract details with catering companies.
- Identify cost savings to maximize donor dollars. Utilize expense controls and identify cost saving opportunities to manage budget effectively.
- Build out timelines, agendas, and activities.
- Utilize registration software to source venues, monitor event registration, manage budgets, and generate reports, e.g., Cvent and Salesforce.
- Facilitate communications among Travel & Events and other WWP teammates and departments. Collaborate with registration and travel teammates.
- Manage and prioritize multiple events. Adapt to challenging or difficult situations by promptly identifying alternatives and changing procedures, methods, and processes.
- Participate in events and meetings marketing as appropriate.
- Perform recordkeeping tasks using registration software e.g., Cvent, Salesforce.
- Perform financial reconciliations for events, Process invoices, receipts, reconcile billing and verify with accounting. Prepare comprehensive and readable financial reports.
- Conduct contract and invoice reviews for identified events, e.g., tax exemption and banquet event orders (BEO).
- Perform event close-outs with detailed summaries, including budget reviews with internal teammates, distribution of surveys for feedback, and future improvements.
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Working knowledge of event management. Demonstrated ability to manage events of varying complexity.
- Strong project management skills. Demonstrated ability to effectively manage multiple priorities, prioritize tasks, and work well under pressure. Ability to work in a fast-paced and changing environment.
- Strong organizational and time management skills. Demonstrated ability to be flexible and adapt to changing priorities and meet deadlines.
- Ability to interact with diverse team members, leadership, and external vendors, and build effective working relationships. Team player, with ability to respond with flexibility and understanding.
- Strong interpersonal skills. Demonstrated ability to interact effectively with diverse individuals and build effective working relationships. Demonstrated emotional intelligence. Ability to respond to sensitive matters with diplomacy and empathy.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Professional presence and demeanor. Demonstrated skill and ease speaking in public and serving as a representative for the organization.
- Demonstrated attention to detail and levels of accuracy.
- Good computer skills. Demonstrated proficiency using Microsoft Office.
- Unequivocal commitment to the highest standards of personal and business ethics and conduct.
- Mission-driven, guided by core values, and a pleasure to work with.
Education & Experience Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in event planning, hospitality, or relevant field. Equivalent combination of education, experience, training, or certification may be considered in lieu of degree.
- Three years of experience working in events or meetings planning, or in a hospitality environment.
- Must be able to travel up to 10% of the time including overnight and weekend travel.
- Three years of experience in event planning in a corporate or non-profit environment, or in a college or university.
- One year of experience using registration software, e.g., Cvent, Salesforce.
- One year of experience negotiating contracts.
- One year of experience working in a non-profit organization.
Certifications & Licensure
- Certified Meeting Professional (CMP) preferred.