Boston Youth Symphony Orchestras (BYSO) firmly believes in the power of high-quality classical music experiences to change lives. At BYSO, students receive a transformative music education through our nationally-renowned orchestras and outreach programs- an education that is rooted in excellence develops life-long skills such as self-confidence, team-work, and leadership.
To support these efforts, BYSO is seeking a motivated, experienced fundraiser to carry out the organization’s robust annual giving program (including annual fund and leadership gifts), alumni relations plan, planned giving strategy and oversight of BYSO’s annual spring gala. As our Associate Director of Individual Giving, you will be a part of a growing team of fundraisers that supports BYSO’s expanding operations. You will report to BYSO’s Director of Development and manage a small team of full and part-time employees.
You are an ideal candidate for this role if you have an in-depth knowledge of the non-profit sector, understand the cycle of donor research, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship, have experience in building and managing a donor plan, and will be comfortable and confident with face to face solicitations of $1,000+. You will bring creative energy that will manifest in ideas and thoughtful strategy--and will have the skills to ensure successful implementation.
The BYSO is a positive, dynamic, inclusive and nurturing environment for both our student population and our staff. With very rigorous fundraising goals and an open mind about how to reach them, the BYSO offers a tremendous opportunity for a motivated fundraiser. Knowing its importance to the success of our work, BYSO is committed to diversity and inclusion, and we aspire to build a diverse staff team and community. We strongly encourage people of all backgrounds to apply. We appreciate your time and will review and respond to all applications received.
- Manage BYSO’s Annual Giving Strategy including identification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of individual donors under $5,000 (includes BYSO parents, alumni, ticket buyers, friends)
- Manage Portfolio of 35-40 Leadership Donors ($1,000-$10,000) including identification, research, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship
- Actively pursue all prospects, make qualification visits to identify and engage new individuals capable of making a gift to BYSO
- Oversee donor stewardship, including the thank you/acknowledgment process and ensuring individual donors receive promised full benefits
- Create and execute the Annual Fund Plan which includes working closely with volunteers, committees and staff members to raise close to $400,000, manage all written and online communication and oversee the expense tracking and budgeting associated with the fund
- Lead the strategy and execution of BYSO’s Spring Gala, including reaching a fundraising goal of $350,000 and acting as event manager
- Supervise the day-to-day work of the Development Associate (and all direct reports) and their critical work to support the carrying out of the Annual Fund Plan and the event management of BYSO’s Annual Gala
- Schedule, script, and lead donor meetings annually and other individualized contacts with prospects
- Guide and direct staff and board/advisory board members in cultivation and solicitation activity
- Develop and maintain familiarity with BYSO programs and priorities and develop persuasive proposals and reports to individual donors and family foundations
QUALIFICATIONS & MINDSETS
There are innumerable ways to learn, grow and excel professionally. We respect this when we review applications and take a broad look at the experience of each applicant. We want to get to know you and the unique strengths you will bring the work. This said, we are most likely to be interested in your candidacy if you can demonstrate the majority of the qualifications and experiences listed below:
- 5+ years of professional experience in development, stewardship, advancement services or related, some event planning experience preferred
- Strong sales-orientation; proven ability to prospect as well as close funding opportunities
- Strategic thinking skills with an ability to use data to make decisions and translate strategy to action
- Superior verbal and written communication skills with an ability to articulate a clear and compelling vision and lead others to implement it, appropriately manage sensitive and confidential information
- Exceptional interpersonal skills, enthusiasm for developing productive working relationships across a wide variety of individuals and groups, both internally and externally
- Proficient (or highly adaptable) in using Raiser’s Edge or similar donor database software
- Proficiency in prioritizing and managing multiple, diverse and on-going projects, ability to focus on big-picture ideas as well as the many details of project management and staff supervision
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Ability and willingness to occasionally work evenings or weekends for events, donor meetings, etc.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution strongly preferred; significant experience and an outstanding level of success in fundraising from individual donors may be considered in lieu of degree
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
BYSO offers a compensation package that is commensurate with experience and includes benefits such as a health insurance stipend and generous vacation and sick time.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
BYSO is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, height, weight, or marital status in employment or the provision of services. Knowing its importance to the success of our work, BYSO is committed to diversity and inclusion, and we aspire to build a diverse staff team and community.