Private Events Manager
Under the direction of the Director of Private Events, the Private Events Manager oversees all aspects of private event operations. You will complete various administrative tasks and other special projects as needed. This is a full-time position and the working hours will vary depending on the needs of the operations, including nights and weekends when applicable. Work-related duties must be done onsite.
Must have and be able to do all of the following:
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Minimum three years of event planning and managing in an upscale casual or fine dining atmosphere.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, in English.
- Basic math and computer skills.
- Must be able to deal with guests in a professional manner while maintaining a composed demeanor in high-stress situations.
- Familiarity generating a BEO/GEO.
- Flexibility with schedule: Evenings, weekends and holidays.
- Must hold valid food handlers certification.
- Ability to work up to 40+ hours per week in full-time positions.
- Take direction well; understand and follow written and verbal instructions.
- Can creatively solve problems and effectively implement solutions.
- Good time management skills; can manage and complete priorities and workflow, be detail-oriented, and work with a sense of urgency.
- Ability to learn and perform in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to work both independently and in a team environment and able to handle multiple tasks.
You must possess the physical, visual, and auditory ability to perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodations and be able to meet the following requirements:
- Must be able to maneuver through all areas of the property.
- Heavy member/guest contact is required.
- Must be able to tolerate varying noise levels, temperature, and illumination and air quality.
- Requires hand-eye coordination and manual dexterity.
- Requires a normal sense of smell, taste, touch, and sound.
- Must be able to respond to visual or aural cues.
- Continuously or periodically bend, twist, lean, lift, push, pull, kneel, bend, walk, stand, and/or sit up to 8+ hours per shift.
- Lift up to 50 pounds in order to perform the essential functions.
- Work in a stressful environment and stressful situations.
- Work in an environment where climate constantly changes.
The following reflects management’s definition of essential functions for this job but does not restrict the tasks that may be assigned. Management may assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time due to reasonable accommodation or for other reasons.
Administrative and Operations:
- Assist in keeping all department costs at or below budget.
- Assist our member events team to help plan and manage events for internal clients.
- Build and manage sales materials including but not limited to online and printed material.
- Build and manage client contracts.
- Manage in-house staffing levels including scheduling of line staff.
- Oversee inventory event items, including but not limited to beverages and dry goods.
- Exceed guest expectations and communicate to supervisor(s) situations in which guest’s needs were not met to their satisfaction.
- Manage annual events calendar and be familiar with San Francisco convention calendar, including recurring Moscone Center Events.
- Supervise proper tabulation of PE checks and ensure completion happens in a timely manner.
- Keep events on track, while keeping labor under budget & clients happy.
- Co-ordinate events effectively with culinary and food and beverage teams.
- Work toward budgetary goals set for the department.
- Upsell private event clients on food & beverage, third party vendors, etc.
- Communicate effectively with other departments to ensure smooth service delivery.
- Ensure effective communication via daily briefing and other scheduled meetings make sure chef always have menus one week out.
- Manage multi-million program budgets and responsible for invoicing, schedule of payments and final billing.
- Develop project strategy from concept to completion across multiple departments including Operations, Registration, Web Development, and Accounting.
- Oversee all aspects of day-to-day implementation, including statement of work development, contract negotiation, staffing, vendor selection, site management, speaker and content management, food and beverage, audiovisual, production, function space allocation, and on-site operations.
- Develop new connections and grow existing business through relationship cultivation, networking and client prospecting.
- Responsible for answering incoming emails and phone calls pertaining to inquiries/possible events bookings.
- Manage outbound sales strategies including, but not limited to, cold calls, sales blitzes, social media, and other print & digital marketing
- Connect with new potential clientele on a weekly basis
Events Coordination and Guest Experience:
- Establish and maintain strong client relationships.
- Keep immediate supervisor fully informed of all problems or matters that occur during private events.
- Make personal contact with guests and assist them with any requests.
- Maintain a floor presence and directly communicate with clients on-site
- Follow up with clients post-event to measure client satisfaction
- Personally greet clients upon their arrival and introduce them to the MOD for that event
- Help hire and train all event staff, as needed.
- Attend pre-shift meetings as necessary. Conduct informative, professional line-ups before every event in conjunction with other members of the private events team.
- Communicate to supervisor immediately when any employee issues arise that you are unable to resolve on your own.
- Lead and attend weekly BEO meetings with the Director of Private Events and other team members.
- Actively manage and schedule all employees from outsourced labor companies when applicable.
- Create a flow of service & training packets for outsourced labor.
- Ability to create clear guidelines for both BOH & FOH team members & work as a team with other food & beverage managers and directors.
- Uphold grooming standards and constantly check the appearance, grooming of all staff present.
- Inform staff upcoming private events.
- Ensure that standards, policies, and procedures are maintained, including the Battery Courtesies.