EVENTS AND INDIVIDUAL GIVING OFFICER
Based in: New York
An experienced professional with a strong track record is sought for an international women’s rights organization. This is a full time position reporting to the Director of Development and requiring close collaboration with the communications team. The Events and Individual Giving Officer will be responsible for overseeing Equality Now’s fundraising and donor cultivation events, develop and implement a strategy for Equality Now’s annual fund, and manage a Development and Communications Associate. This position will be based in our New York office and works with staff across the organization.
This is an exciting opportunity for an ambitious fundraiser who is eager to advance women’s rights and make the world better for women and girls.
About Equality Now
Founded in 1992, Equality Now is an international human rights organization dedicated to ensuring that women and girls around the world can live their lives free from violence and discrimination. Combining grassroots activism with international, regional and national legal advocacy, we envision a world in which women and men have equal rights under the law and full enjoyment of those rights. Our issue areas encompass Legal Equality, Justice for Girls, and Ending Female Genital Mutilation (FGM), Sex Trafficking and Sexual Violence.
The Events and Individual Giving Officer is responsible for $1.1 million in contributed support toward the organizational operating budget of $6.1 million.
- Manage multiple cultivation and fundraising events during the year, with responsibilities including but not limited to: planning and implementing event logistics, managing mailing lists, developing promotional materials, tracking RSVPs, providing attendee research, managing day-of logistics, developing metrics to measure success, and managing reporting;
- Work with event consultants and development and communications colleagues to successfully plan and implement all aspects of Equality Now’s 25th Anniversary Gala, including but not limited to: overseeing event logistics, producing the evening’s performance, effectively managing celebrity engagement, producing all event materials (both promotional and evening of), managing all fundraising activities, managing contracts and the event budget, accurately tracking revenues and managing the acknowledgement process, and generally maximizing participation, event quality and financial support;
- Develop efficient and effective systems to institutionalize information related to events and to replicate successes over time; and
- Assist in the creation and implementation of new sponsorship opportunities to support program and activism campaigns where Equality Now operates
- Develop a strategy to effectively manage Equality Now’s Annual Fund, which may include but are not limited to: two appeals annually (online and offline), cultivation events, leveraging specific fundraising opportunities such as Giving Tuesday or International Women’s Day, and working with online fundraising and marketing consultants to increase online giving and individual giving overall;
- Work closely with the communications team to develop digital and social media strategies to promote and support events and individual fundraising campaigns;
- Manage specific donor affiliation groups that generate significant revenue and awareness of Equality Now’s mission, such as the ‘Can’t Stop the Serenity’ fan base;
- Collaborate with the communications team to advocate for donors in general communications such as the newsletter;
- Where appropriate, cultivate individual donors for customized management, with activities including but not limited to: conducting personal outreach (by phone or personalized notes), developing solicitation materials, and engaging individual donors in relevant events; and
- Work with the Development and Communications Associate to assess, track and, where appropriate, provide support to donor-driven events and other ad hoc fundraising opportunities.
Planning and Administration
- Manage the Development and Communications Associate;
- Ensure gifts from donors at all levels are acknowledged appropriately and in a timely manner; and
- Work with the Director of Development and team members to create an annual development plan, including fundraising strategies, revenue targets, and expense budgets.
Qualifications and experience:
- Bachelor’s degree and 3-5 years of proven success in events and individual giving
- Excellent project management and problem solving skills
- Able to prioritize, juggle multiple projects, stay calm under pressure and meet deadlines
- Detail-oriented, organized
- Results-driven approach with a commitment to outcomes and tracking
- Excellent relationship management skills
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Resourceful, with the ability to work independently and also as a team player
- Advanced interpersonal skills, able to work effectively and respectfully in a fast-paced environment with diverse co-workers in a relatively small organization and with colleagues internationally
- Able to “manage up” to organization’s leadership to ensure all deadlines are met and relationships effectively stewarded
- Ability to travel when needed
- Sense of humor
- Management experience
- Database experience (Raisers Edge preferred)
- Cross-cultural/international experience
- Facility with written French, Spanish or Arabic a plus
- Some prior knowledge of or experience in the human rights sector
To apply: send resume, cover letter and a writing sample to: firstname.lastname@example.org with the “Events and
Individual Giving Officer” in the subject line. No calls please.
Equality Now offers a competitive compensation package, including base salary, savings, health and vacation benefits, and is an Equal Opportunity employer. Employees are selected on the basis of ability without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, marital status or sexual orientation, in accordance with federal and state law.